ignorance is not bliss.

/ ignorance is not bliss. #11  
according to owner's manual; with my gear ratio (3.55) and wheel size (18"), my F-150 max trailer wt would be 8000 lbs.

Good deal. You sound like you should be good to go. Even on the heavy side of a trailer, say 2000#, you still have 6000# for tractor/loader/implement.

I think you have done some good research, now you just need to get out there and take it easy and start towing.

Chris

/ ignorance is not bliss. #12  
If you have any questions as the guy at your tractor dealer who does the deliveries to show you how he does it. This will give you a good starting point. All trailers and tractors are different.

You could also ask a buddy who is a trucker or who does this sort of transporting to come over to the house and show you. Like you said you want to know what you are doing.

Now for insurance. In my state and with my insurer if its hooked to my truck it is covered, well sorta. If I get into a accident and kill someone or tear up a building as the tractor flies though it they cover the damages to the building, but not my tractor. Same goes for any property and others vehicles. If my tractor is sitting on my trailer and its stolen it is not covered but if its at my house and stolen its covered by my home owners. My tractor is never covered itself or anything I haul on my trailer by my tow vehicles insurance but any damage I may do is. Hope this is not to confusing. Just call your agent to find out all the what if's?????

By the way I asked about a separate insurance plan for my tractor. I can not remember the cost but it was something like $500 per year, just not worth it to me.

Chris

/ ignorance is not bliss. #13  
thanks for the info on this Jer, the trailer part of this I think I can take care of and as you say, more is bound to be better, its really the actual securing of the machine onto it that has me spooked. I really don't care to see $25,000 worth of orange metal cartwheeling behind me down the road !! I recall once following some hotdog hauling a new v-8 engine strapped in the back of a dually pickup, he took a corner pretty fast, but the engine went straight, over the side of the truck, across the shoulder of the road and thru a barbwire fence, then about 50 yds into a pasture. I've never forgot that and figure safe is a **** of a lot better than sorry. Thanks again for the info !

When I bought my chains and boomers this past summer I think they where about 250$ for four 8' and one 20' with 4 boomers, and a 'persuader' bar to help close the boomers.

When my tractor's locked down it's really solid. I also walk around and touch the chains for tightness at every fuel/coffee/pee stop.

You'll have fun, don't worry.

-Jer.