IH 284

/ IH 284 #11  
I have a gas 284. It's an orphan. The only thing International is the name plate. Japanese hybrid. I price a gas tank and fenders @ the dealer. Tank $800, fenders $2000 each. They tell me they used this engine in '71-'72 Ford Couriers (try and find one of those). Carb is easy. Check and see if leak is on plunger. I was able to get that at the dealer. It is leather. Soak it in something to swell it up if it is dry. Couldn't find a fuel pump, so I put an electric fuel pump on (low pressure) that worked good. I also install a Pertronix electronic module replacing the points. Probably a good little tractor when new. My tractor has a loader. My 284 is stuck right now. When I get it running I'm selling it ASAP.

/ IH 284 #12  
The 284 is of Mitsubishi origin, made for IH yo distribute world wide, whilst Mitsubishi organisation in Japan marketed the larger IH tractors.

/ IH 284 #13  
Yeh, an orphan of some sort. I'm with you on that note! Parts, if you can find any are priced higher than marine or recreational vehicle parts. Messicks fenders for the 284 are $8000.00 per fender. MY GOD, come on now. A carb is $350.00 and I'm not sure if it's new or rebuilt. Probably rebuilt. I just don't understand why this tractor is so unique as it relates to service and parts. I realize they are over 30 years old and probably not too many left in existance anymore but still. What kind of engine oil pressure does your 284 operate at? Mine has an after market oil pressure guage on it thats showing me between 15 and 20 pounds. Does this sound normal?

/ IH 284 #14  
The 284 is of Mitsubishi origin, made for IH yo distribute world wide, whilst Mitsubishi organisation in Japan marketed the larger IH tractors.

I have 2 Diesel 284's. They are Komatsu mfg. and use a Nissan engine. The gas ones use a Mazda engine.
Yes they are orphans, but have been good for me.
The worst part I even inquired about was a starter.... $1200
I had broken the aluminum end-bell and it could not be bought separately....so I made one out of steel.

$2000 for a fender?......ha ha. I built new ones of those also.

/ IH 284 #15  
Glad to hear that the 284's have worked out for you. I really like the little tractor and not that I've had a lot of problems with mine, because I have not, but I plan to fully clean up and finish restoring mine and try to sell for at least what I have invested in it which is around $4000. I did not realize prior to purchasing this tractor that parts were not readily available, let alone available at a reasonable price. You get absolutely no help from IH dealers or their mechanics because all they want to do is steal yours and sell you a new one. If anything breaks or fails you better be ready to fabricate it yourself. When I sell this one I plan to purchase something newer and preferably diesel rather than gas. Deisels are much more reliable. I had a 950 John Deere diesel for years. Best tractor I ever owned and was stupid for getting rid of it. If anyone out there collects or might be interested in a clean little 284 Gas model, shoot me a reply!!

/ IH 284 #16  
I just looked for a new carb also and paid for it online through messicks, found out the next day that they are out of them and no longer available. I found a shop called Valley Parts Power # 1-800-609-5110, the guy you want to speak with is Bill Rogers. They rebuild and modify parts to rebuild it because you can no longer get a kit. They test run them on an engine and make all of the ajustments so all you have to do is install and start the tractor. Just thought it might be helpful.