IH 300 Utility....My new project

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #91  
and she might float too!

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project
Certainly lots of air in there.....hmmmmm

Just looked at a chart.

tires would hold 107 gallons of water @ 75% fill, so about 143 gallons of volume each tire. Total of 286.

Thats about 2300# of floatation there. Given the mass and the water that would be displaced for the rest of the tractor....it might be close. But I certainly aint gonna test it out:laughing:

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #94  
I think it looks good
kind of like a pulling tractor without the HP

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #95  
I don't suppose the guy you got the tires and wheels from scrapped the combine himself..?? If so, suppose he saved the lug nuts..?? If not, I looked up lug nuts for an IH 503 combine @ Messick's, and they are 5/8" and are $2.48 ea. Then again, Spallingers Spallinger Combine Parts, Inc. 800-758-8333 isn't that far away, and could UPS them... Bet they have buckets of them, if used would work...

No some guy scrapped it for him. They were going to take it with the tires, but was too tall. So they deflated the tires (and thats why they were off the beads when I got them), but still not low enough.

So they left the tires.

I ended up going to NAPA to see what they had.

Not much, but will make it work.

All of their 9/16 "bolts" were even a smaller hex than mine, @ 3/4". And all of their 5/8" bolts were only 7/8", But they did have 2 lug nuts that were 5/8"-18 and 1-1/16 head. And I had 5 at home already. And they are getting 9 more for me in the morning. They were only a few bucks each.

So I decided to use studs. Their selection of them was slim too. They had 6 that were once style, and take a 5/8" hole to be pressed into, then they had 6 more that were a tad shorter and needed a 21/32 hole.

So I got all of them, and got them installed and tires back on with only 3 lug nuts in one and 4 in the other for now. The other two holes in each tire, instead of getting more studs, I am just going to use 5/8-18 all thread that I have a ton of. Will drill the holes and tap the hubs and then put a jam nut on the back side combined with a little loctite.

So going from 8 bolts that were 9/16, to (6) 5/8 studs and 2 all threads in each wheel, I figure it will be just as strong if not stronger.

I also turned the wheels around to make em set wider to give more room for operator and hitch stuff. So now I wont have to modify the fenders also. And its still under 8' wide. Its about 7'7" now, otherway it was 7' on the money. Either way, too big for my current 6' cutter, and I am wanting an 8' twin spindle anyway.

IMG_20131029_164211_412.jpgIMG_20131029_164228_920.jpg

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #97  
Guess I should have asked how close you are to JD Equipment. I broke several studs on my Case backhoe several years ago. After going to several parts stores, including NAPA, went to JD at Lancaster. Asked them if they had wheel studs & nuts. He asked what size and how many... Brought out a box full of each... At the time, they were less than $2.00 each.

NAPA sure doesn't stock like they used to, since we now have an inventory tax here in Ohio...

Some more updatdes:

Started on the front axle yesterday.

Pretty much took all day to get the adjustable axle tubes out of the main outer tube. I had to slit the tube more with a grinder and slicer, use chisels for wedges, and lots of twisting and banging and I got them apart.

So today I got them all cleaned up:

IMG_20131031_095346_847.jpgIMG_20131031_095403_114.jpg

Re welded the tube back together, with a chisel in there to open it up some before welding to counteract the shrinking effect.

Also had to weld the inside tube also cause I got a little deep with the slicer. And since I am going to widen the front, the slice would be exposed

IMG_20131031_102602_916.jpgIMG_20131031_102608_624.jpg

And all cleaned up so you cant tell

IMG_20131031_111116_478.jpgIMG_20131031_111128_186.jpg

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #99  
Looks like a good place to use never-seize. You never know when you may want to change the width again...

Looks like a good place to use never-seize. You never know when you may want to change the width again...

That is certainly the plan. Them puppies were rusted in tight. I can say I really dont like tube in tube adjustable axles.