IH 3414 oil bath air cleaner

/ IH 3414 oil bath air cleaner #1  

laloward

Tractor
IH 3414 Diesel
What should the oil level be in the oil bath air cleaner on my IH 3414? It has an inner cup and an outer cup. The outer cup has an oil indicator fill line. Should the oil level in the inner cup be the same level as the outer cup fill indicator line? I have not been able to find any information on this in manuals or on the internet. The only thing I have found is that the service manual says to fill the cup to the fill line, but it does not say to fill both the inner and outer cups, it just says fill the cup to the fill line. What is the correct procedure? Are both the inner and outer cups filled to the same level?

laloward@yahoo.com

/ IH 3414 oil bath air cleaner #2  
On all of my IH's the center cup is cross drilled, and have like 3/16" holes to allow the oil to seek it's own level with the outer area.

/ IH 3414 oil bath air cleaner
Mine also has holes around the inner cup, but they were slightly higher than the fill mark on the outer cup, so I wasn't sure what the holes were for. I finally found an IH/Case dealer and was told that they always fill both the inner and outer cups to the level mark on the outer cup. Just pour the oil into the inner cup without taking the time to let it drain from the outer cup into to the inner cup through the holes on the inner cup.

/ IH 3414 oil bath air cleaner #4  
Filling to the line on the outer cup is what I have always done on my 340 and Cub.