IH Farmall 240 powersteering and 3pt drain?

/ IH Farmall 240 powersteering and 3pt drain? #1  

Jasonc87

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 240 Utility
I know that the PS and 3pt share an oil reservoir, and I know where the filter is which I would like to change, but does anyone know if there is a drain for this reservoir? And possibly where to get the filter from?

/ IH Farmall 240 powersteering and 3pt drain?
Well I found the part number for the element and all the big filter company's don't show a cross reference for it. I still don't know if there's a drain but it looks like I may be seeing if the dealer has one.. That's crappy. OEM element number is: 375078r91.

There's also a few other threads on a few different forums with guys looking for the same filter and I didn't see any that ended anywhere other than the dealer.

/ IH Farmall 240 powersteering and 3pt drain? #3  
Is it a true filter element, or a suction screen? If it is a screen, it probably can be cleaned if it is intact.

/ IH Farmall 240 powersteering and 3pt drain? #4  
Try doing a Google search using that part number. I just did, and got 300 hits. Many of them are listings for the filter. I checked a few on the first page, and saw them from like $14.03, up... Also did a quick check @ Case/IH. (gasp......) $45.76...!!

It is an actual filter element and what I've found through reading all those other threads is that at some point a cross reference number got Mis matched but most of the filters from aftermarket are for a bigger tractor. The dimensions are quite a bit larger then the one I have.

Well since no one seems to know where or how to drain ill just have to try something.. well see how it goes.

/ IH Farmall 240 powersteering and 3pt drain? #7  
It should drain from a plug under the rear end.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ IH Farmall 240 powersteering and 3pt drain? #8  
Well I found the part number for the element and all the big filter company's don't show a cross reference for it. I still don't know if there's a drain but it looks like I may be seeing if the dealer has one.. That's crappy. OEM element number is: 375078r91.

There's also a few other threads on a few different forums with guys looking for the same filter and I didn't see any that ended anywhere other than the dealer.

Try a Baldwin dealer. That's where I got all my filters when I had my IH624. Substantially cheaper than Case/IH

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

Well I found the drain. The reservoir is actually the outside casting of the "clutch housing" .. The drain is on the drivers side, it has a elbow fitting with a pipe plug in it. There is a through bolt right behind it that goes to the other side of the transom/tunnel area where the input shaft and clutch linkage run in. So my buddy helped me get that task done and wanted to go play on it, so I said go for it!

Needless to say by the time playing was over I ended up with a blown outrigger hose and a broken hydraulic pump driveshaft. Back to working I guess.