IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem)

/ IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem) #1  

jkhypilot

I have an 07 Cub Cadet LT-1050.
Long story short, My wife tried to jump start it with the car. The car was running.

What do I need to replace to make it start again so SHE can mow?

Thanks jkhypilot

/ IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem) #2  
I don't think that jump starting with car would hurt the mower. Look deeper for the root cause.
Mike

/ IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem)
It says in the mower manual, if you jump with a car make sure the engine is OFF on the car.
she said it cranked for a second or two then stopped.
The fuse is not blown.

/ IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem) #4  
Does the tractor have an electronic control module (computer)?

When jump starting vehicles with electronic control module, it is very important not to have donor engine running. What happens if you have the donor running is that a spike is generated when the donee starts. The reason is that when you are cranking the dead vehicle, it draws a lot of current and the battery voltage drops. The donor voltage regulator reads a low voltage and winds up the donor regulator to give maximum output from the alternator. When the dead vehicle starts, the battery current drops and voltage increases but it takes a short time for the alternator to drop back. The alternator is still flat out for a very short time but can produce a voltage spike large enough to blow the computer.

Whenever I give a jump start, I connect my vehicle to the dead vehicle and run my engine for a few minutes to charge the other battery. I then turn my engine off and start the other vehicle. The recharged battery along with my battery is usually enough to get it going easily.

Weedpharma

/ IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem) #5  
Is the battery on the tractor dead?:D

If so why not take the old one out and use the car battery when trying to trouble shoot the system.:D

/ IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem) #6  
Does the tractor have an electronic control module (computer)?

When jump starting vehicles with electronic control module, it is very important not to have donor engine running. What happens if you have the donor running is that a spike is generated when the donee starts. The reason is that when you are cranking the dead vehicle, it draws a lot of current and the battery voltage drops. The donor voltage regulator reads a low voltage and winds up the donor regulator to give maximum output from the alternator. When the dead vehicle starts, the battery current drops and voltage increases but it takes a short time for the alternator to drop back. The alternator is still flat out for a very short time but can produce a voltage spike large enough to blow the computer.

Whenever I give a jump start, I connect my vehicle to the dead vehicle and run my engine for a few minutes to charge the other battery. I then turn my engine off and start the other vehicle. The recharged battery along with my battery is usually enough to get it going easily.

Weedpharma

That is the only time I have ever seen that rationally explained.

Not sure I agree with it, but it seems more plausible than most.

That said, I cannot imagine what mower would have that sensitive of a computer on it. I think you are looking at the wrong cause of the problem.

The only other one I have seen that comes with similar circumstances is that you had a marginal starter, it would not crank with on board battery power, and the additional supplied amperage pushed that starter over the edge. (burned up if you will) While in some ways you can blame jumping it, the problem was just flat out with the starter to begin with.

I believe that the voltage regulating system in most modern cars will keep any "spikes" from occuring that would damage another 12v system. If they did not, the car's computer, which I would expect to be much more sensiteve to voltage spikes etc. would also be having problems.

/ IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem) #7  
I have an 07 Cub Cadet LT-1050.
Long story short, My wife tried to jump start it with the car. The car was running.

What do I need to replace to make it start again so SHE can mow?

Thanks jkhypilot

We need more information. If you have a multimeter, check that you are getting 12 volts on the battery. Turn the lights on and see if the voltage stays about 12 volts. If it drops drastically, the battery is flat or terminals are dirty. If the battery is ok, check that the switched terminal on the starter solenoid is getting 12 volts when you turn the starter switch. Is there 12 volts from the battery on the starter switch?

Weedpharma

/ IIEP (Idiot induced electrical problem) #8  
It says in the mower manual, if you jump with a car make sure the engine is OFF on the car.
she said it cranked for a second or two then stopped.
The fuse is not blown.

I think there is a very good chance your mower has a bad starter solenoid. I've seen several that act just the way you describe.