Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...?

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #51  
Years ago, I ran a little Yanmar with the dog-leg style loader arms. There were times that I would have liked some better visibility. When I first saw the curved arms on the NH's and Kiotis a couple of years ago, I didn't really like the overall appearance. But when I started looking for a tractor this time around, I ended up being amazed at what I perceived to be the difference with the curved arms/hood over the traditional style.

I'm very pleased with the visibility of my curved loader arms - I can see a little better while engaging the bucket into the ground and various material piles when down low. An area that the curved loader arms make a very big difference to me is when moving the machine with the bucket raised in the transport position - in most cases, the loader arms are sloping enough to not block the view when making turns in tight spaces - not true with my neighbor's BX22 that I use on occasion. Everytime I get to use the BX22 for backhoe work, I will often jump on my machine for the loader work, because one time, I was forced to use the BX loader for a day while my machine was in for service, and found I was missing the curved loader arms.

I've also had a few instances where a tree, or timber I was moving with the bucket up high, started the slide down the curved arms toward the operator platform, so some care must be excercised now that I no longer have the back-up "stops" built into the dog-leg style loader arms.

All in all, I like the curved loader arms better. But if my only experience was with the dog-leg style loader arms, I could make do just fine with them. Unless you have a chance to spend a number of hours on a machine with the curved loader arms, you can't really make the comparison. However, I have yet to hear of someone who's used both styles fairly extensively, and decided to go from the new curved arms back to the dog-leg style.

I would venture to guess that all the manufacturers will offer curved loader arms over the next several years, so in time, all new machines will come with the curved arms. Case New Holland is also claiming that the curved arms are stronger than their bulkier, heavier dog-leg counterparts, thus less steel and increased material cost savings over their older styles.

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #52  
The ability to carry a load with the loader arms raised is a great advantage for curved arms..?

Mazybe if you are a trial attorney...

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #53  
<font color="green"> The ability to carry a load with the loader arms raised is a great advantage for curved arms..?

Mazybe if you are a trial attorney... </font>

I have carried things on the curved loader arms many times, I use the top of the bucket to carry long pieces of lumber and tilt it back so the lumber is actually resting on the loader arms when the bucket is lifted. I will say that you can't raise the bucket up high and do that, but for transporting things it is no problem if the bucket is about a foot or two off the ground. I certainly would not raise the bucket over the hood of the tractor and do that, you'd very likely end up with the load of lumber or branches in your lap.

I've also transported lumber the same way with the B2910, I would say that I see no difference in the ability to transport things like lumber or branches on either tractor with either type of loader arms PROVIDED THE BUCKET OF THE CURVED ARM UNITS ARE KEPT BELOW THE HEIGHT OF THE HOOD.

Bandit wrote: <font color="red"> I like the curved loader arms better. But if my only experience was with the dog-leg style loader arms, I could make do just fine with them. Unless you have a chance to spend a number of hours on a machine with the curved loader arms, you can't really make the comparison. However, I have yet to hear of someone who's used both styles fairly extensively, and decided to go from the new curved arms back to the dog-leg style.
</font>
I think that there are very few of us who have the ability to hop off a machine with curved arms and hop onto one with dog leg arms. But those of us who have the ability do seem to perfer the newer style, especially in side-by-side usage.

I also think that some of the posters who say that the curved arms offer no advantage, or offer an advantage only to new users are really missing the point of technological progress. Sure, anyone can become proficient with either piece of equipment, BUT people who are proficient are still choosing the curved style after using both, and that must say something. Be it real or perceived it is yet to be determined. But just because I can pick up a full bucket load of material with both types does not mean that they are both equal.

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #54  
I'd like to see your comparison pic's Bob. That would be really useful to prospective buyers, I think.

While you're at it, you could also settle the higher seat questions. The NH compresses a lot more, so the measurement would have to be with you sitting on it to be meaningful.

The distance from the front of the seat to the front of the bucket might also be useful. These are numbers you just can't get out of a brochure.

I've tried both styles and they both beat the pants off a wheelbarrow. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #55  
<font color="red"> I've tried both styles and they both beat the pants off a wheelbarrow. </font>

WOW you must have a really understanding wife. Before I put my foot down (or do I mean before I bought the lovely Mrs_Bob jewelry?) I had to settle for a bucket and a shovel, you actually got a wheelboarrow?!?

Here is my plan for sometime this weekend (assuming the lovely Mrs_Bob cooperates, and the weather does too). . . I will park the B2910 and the TC24 next to each other in the driveway with the bucket lips in line with each other. I will then run a line straight out from the center of each tractor and mark the line every 12". I will also run 2 additional lines parallel to the center line. Those two lines will probably be 24" on either side of the center line. So what I will then have will be 3 lines projecting out from each bucket. I should be able to measure line of site, as viewed with my rear end in the seat of each tractor to see if one offers better visibility than the other. I think the fact that I will take both pictures will help validate the view because my eye level view will be based on the same size person using both machines as they would be used in real life so the perspective will essentially be the same.

By using two tractors with equal loader capacity I think it will be a very valid test of the equipment. Stacking up a TC24 against a B2410 or B7610 does not seem fair because the TC24 loader is stronger, so while both are 24hp tractors, the loaders are unequal. Similarly, stacking up the B2910 to a TC29 does not seem fair becuause while both are 30hp machines the loaders again are not equal. And what we are really debating in this thread is LOADERS not tractors.

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #56  
Well, I dunno....I'm now convinced that they give better visibility, but I still think they (curved arms) are ugly....this last week hasn't been long enough for them to grow on me. I'll report again next week. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #57  
Bob, your idea is great!!

The only problem is that you will only be comparing tractors in one class. Are large frame tractors from the same manufacturers directly proportional? We need to know how each level stacks up...

I am sure that your jewelry store has a payment plan... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #58  
<font color="green"> The only problem is that you will only be comparing tractors in one class. Are large frame tractors from the same manufacturers directly proportional? -Rockyridgefarm </font>

<font color="blue"> I will take both pictures will help validate the view because my eye level view will be based on the same size person - Bob Skurka </font>

Bob take a measurement from the middle of the seat to x number of inches up (your line of sight, the camera height) so we can all take a photo on our tractor at that height looking forward at the loader. That way anyone who wants to play can take a comparison photo to match up with a comparable model of their choice. We can also photograph the measuring lines like you are going to do. This will be interesting! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #59  
I think a good solution is to put a video camera on the loader - in the back for the bush hog and under the tractor for the belly mower - all you need is video monitor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It appears to me the curve design uses less steel than the old style.

/ Illusion or reality...curved loader arms/hood...? #60  
"It appears to me the curve design uses less steel than the old style."

Been following the thread wondering when someone would realize that probable reason for the design change /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben