I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt.

/ I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt. #11  
Actually, I have a slip clutch so there is no shear bolt on mine. Really a nice way to go.

It seems that not all implements are built the same. :laughing: I did not have any of your issues when replacing the shear bolt on my Mohawk Brave cutter. My PTO shield is not removable, only the gearbox shield on the cutter deck. It takes a few seconds to remove the single bolt holding the metal shield in place and the universal joint/gearbox connection is visible. Only the PTO/universal joint connection is covered by the PTO shield. The flexible parts of the universal is hidden from view by the PTO shield, but the part that slides onto the gearbox shaft is completely visible. My replacement time is under 10 minutes if I go easy.

/ I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt. #12  
Shields are not for the smart..such as yourself, but for the dumb, careless, exhausted or frustrated and trying to cut corners or save time.

Actually I think that is not the reason.

The real reason is-

to protect the manufacurer from the dumb, careless, exhausted, frustrated, corner cutting person's LAWYER;)

/ I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt. #13  
Maybe it needs another safety sticker ?

Last edited:
   / I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt. #14  
I drilled a couple of good sized holes in the gaurd with a hole saw for better access

I've done that!:thumbsup: Worked too.:thumbsup:

/ I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt. #15  
It was hot.

Come off it, I was involved in moving my daughter off to college yesterday in Arlington, Va.
Loading dock, tar pavement, no air movement. Barely broke 90 yesterday. Almost needed a sweater, now a couple of weeks ago when it was pushing 100.

Now on the subject of plastic safety shields they are probably very good at protecting the manufacturers buttocks.

/ I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt.
Come off it, I was involved in moving my daughter off to college yesterday in Arlington, Va.
Loading dock, tar pavement, no air movement. Barely broke 90 yesterday. Almost needed a sweater, now a couple of weeks ago when it was pushing 100.

Now on the subject of plastic safety shields they are probably very good at protecting the manufacturers buttocks.

Croom (Upper Marlboro) is further south than Arlington. It was way hotter.

/ I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt. #17  
My Woods HC54 came with the stupid plastic shield, but the bolts that were supposed to hold it in place were missing, so I promptly hung the shield on the garage wall to get it out of the way, as I had no bolts on hand at the moment. I don't have any small children running around the farm when I mow, nor do I have any desire to leave the mower running when I dismount the tractor. Granted, if the shield came with the proper bolts when I unpacked and assembled the unit, I probably would have bolted the silly thing on, just because it was there, and it would've been the proper thing to do, but now that it's already off...? :confused2:

I'm not seeing any real problem here. :confused:

Joe

/ I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt.
My Woods HC54 came with the stupid plastic shield, but the bolts that were supposed to hold it in place were missing, so I promptly hung the shield on the garage wall to get it out of the way, as I had no bolts on hand at the moment. I don't have any small children running around the farm when I mow, nor do I have any desire to leave the mower running when I dismount the tractor. Granted, if the shield came with the proper bolts when I unpacked and assembled the unit, I probably would have bolted the silly thing on, just because it was there, and it would've been the proper thing to do, but now that it's already off...? :confused2:

I'm not seeing any real problem here. :confused:

Joe

Had I had to disconnect the shaft from the cutter's gearbox, I would have probably removed the outer shield and like you, hung it in the barn.

/ I'm all for safety, but with all the shields it takes hours to replace a shear bolt. #19  
That's odd, my Brush Bull on the gear box end has a plastic cowel covering the shear bolt and this attaches to the plastic shield covering the PTO assembly running up to another plastic cowel covering the PTO hookup. I just bend it out of the way and put a new in when it pops.

That's odd, my Brush Bull on the gear box end has a plastic cowel covering the shear bolt and this attaches to the plastic shield covering the PTO assembly running up to another plastic cowel covering the PTO hookup. I just bend it out of the way and put a new in when it pops.

Yours must be a different vintage. The outer shield on mine is bolted to the gearbox and cannot be bent out of the way. You are supposed to work through small holes in that outer shield, which some posters have enlarged. Which is what I will do next time I have to replace a shear bolt.