I'm an abuser

/ I'm an abuser #1  

DCook

Tractor
Case 235
I abused my tractor. Now the transmission is not working. I'm assuming the two are related. Its a Case 235, 3 cyl diesel, hydrostatic trans with a hi and low. My wife was on the tractor about a week after the abusive weekend. She tried to shift it from low range to hi range. She said it made a funny noise. It hasn't moved since. I checked the fluids. The pto works. I've ordered a repair manual but apparently its on the slow boat. Anybody have a spare transmission?

/ I'm an abuser #2  
DCook said:
I abused my tractor. Now the transmission is not working. I'm assuming the two are related ... My wife was on the tractor about a week after the abusive weekend.

I'd try to blame her and see if you can get a new tractor out of it:D

/ I'm an abuser #3  
What kind of abuse did you subject her to? { The Tractor}.Is it new or did you just buy it?

/ I'm an abuser
I tied a chain to a post and jerked on it REAL hard, a couple of times. Its an older tractor, made in the 80's. I'm eyeing another tractor. A 40's model Cub with a belly mower.

/ I'm an abuser #5  
My bet is that jerking on the post did not cause this damage.

/ I'm an abuser #6  
tydp said:
My bet is that jerking on the post did not cause this damage.

I agree, my bet would be shifting from Hi to Lo while moving (and/or while the gears weren't meshing properly). In technical terms, it's "stuck".

Might not be a total disaster, but without more info, it's tough to make a suggestion as how to proceed.

Making a bad noise sounds like maybe grinding gears??

/ I'm an abuser #7  
Can you find on the tractor where it says who made it?
I believe it is a Mitsubishi.

Trans or rearend???
Try the differential lock.......easily.
You can take the Rockshaft arm section off in one piece usually, that will allow you to see down into the rear axle area.
Could also be the coupler between the hst and the mainshaft.
If you were pulling hard etc, this could have stripped.
If this is the case, you should be able to lift the rearend and make it work, for troubleshooting purposes.
TAKE IT OUT OF 4WD......first.......:eek:
It won't move the tractor but it will allow everything to move because it won't have pressure on it.

As others have stated, try all the easy stuff first, Hi-Lo lever, 4wd lever.
I have been on a couple of trouble calls that just needed the lever moved, lots of levers can be in nuetral.

Good Luck

BTI

/ I'm an abuser #8  
I bought a 3PH backhoe from a farmer that said his Case backhoe would not move. I ask him to show me and he move the lever on the collar to go forward... it moved slightly. Then reverse... again slightly. Asked him about the High/Low shifter on the floor :confused: He said he never uses it... He put it in gear and it worked fine somehow it got kick out of gear and he never thought about it. ;) (not say it's what happen to yours but I would check to make sure about the gears).

/ I'm an abuser #9  
D Cook. Your tractor is made by Mitsubishi and is very similar to the Japanese Mitsubishi (grey market) tractors. I have a Mits MTE2000D and just last week had a very similar issue. My son was on the tractor and was moving some dirt and using lo and medium ranges and suddenly the tractor wouldn't move. Turned out that a small pin in the range transmission had broken off. I looked at your range trans on Parts & Service | Case IH and it looks very similar to mine only mine is a 3 speed. The pin I mentioned is on the end of the gear selector handle's linkage ( it is identified as part #3 under the range trans section for your tractor on the CaseIH website) and slides a gear along the main shaft to engage the different ranges. When the pin broke, the gear was stuck between two ranges and thus wouldn't allow either trans to engage. It require removing the seat and some sheet metal to get to the trans but was actually a pretty easy job. I simply welded the pin back and it works fine. Hope this helps.

/ I'm an abuser #10  
Does it try to move any at all? I had a bolt on the ring gear on the front hogs head work loose. When it did it would try to move but acted like the brakes were on. ended up rebuilding the whole font axle.