I'm an abuser

/ I'm an abuser
Yes, Its made by Mitsubishi. And my repair manual came in today. I read through it decided to get busy. I started the tractor, and it moved... about 10 feet. Then it stopped. I left it running about 5 minutes and tried again. It moved another 10 feet, and stopped. It took about 30 minutes but its now in the garage. The manual says there is a screen type suction filter as well as the spin on filter. I did not know about it so its never been changed as long as I have had it. I'm going to do a fluid change and replace both filters. I've seen a few posts about similar problems with the hydrostatic transmission. I'm going to go back and read those posts. Thanks for the help.

dean

/ I'm an abuser
I haven't taken the strainer off yet. Do you clean it or replace it?

/ I'm an abuser #13  
DCook said:
I abused my tractor. Now the transmission is not working. I'm assuming the two are related. Its a Case 235, 3 cyl diesel, hydrostatic trans with a hi and low. My wife was on the tractor about a week after the abusive weekend. She tried to shift it from low range to hi range. She said it made a funny noise. It hasn't moved since. I checked the fluids. The pto works. I've ordered a repair manual but apparently its on the slow boat. Anybody have a spare transmission?

I wouldn't blame her very much. If I were you, I would ask her what that sound sounds like. Since I am a female, I have some suggestions: if I was you, I would ask her if she can help you out in buying a new tractor if you can't fix it. I would go to the dealer and ask them for help. But I don't have a spear trasmission. Sorry

/ I'm an abuser #14  
DCook said:
I haven't taken the strainer off yet. Do you clean it or replace it?

I had a John Deere 855, also a hydrostatic and it had a similar thing happen. Check the strainer. When mine stopped, it stopped all at once and it was simply the strainer needing a good cleaning.

/ I'm an abuser
I found the suction screen. It did not look dirty at all. I washed it any way. I'll put it back tomorrow. I have to pick up a spin on filter and more fluid tomorrow.

/ I'm an abuser
I've narrowed the problem to the hi-low range transmission. I believe the shift lever is broke inside the transmission. Major work ahead. Grief. The book says I have to separate the hydrostatic trans from the clutch housing and then the hydro trans from the range trans. Has anybody done this before?

/ I'm an abuser #17  
I haven't split that tractor, but they are all pretty much all alike. Just take your time and follow the book closely. The parts are heavy so be ready for that. You will want to do this on a hard smooth surface. Concrete is the best.

You may want to inspect the clutch too. Having it apart it's easy to do!

jb

/ I'm an abuser #18  
Sorry, if I am doing this wrong, this is my 1st time, to be able to write on this site. I bought an 855 J.D. from and auction and found the PTO would not stay engaged and the Hydrostatis shift would not stay engage, in reverse. After pressing the forward pedal a few time, I could get the tractor to move forward just fine. Again upon attemting to move it in reverse, the tractor will move a few feet, make a grinding nose, then stop. I have taken it to a J.D. shop in Nacogdoches, Texas. They said the transmittion may cost up to $3500, to repair (yikes). Has anyone had a simular problem?

They said a magnet switch was bad in the PTO, it was replaced and they say it is working fine.

Pappy from Texas