I'm an idiot

/ I'm an idiot #21  
Re: I\'m an idiot

This has the potential of collecting more posts than any TBN thread ever. Even if you limit it to the last month I'll bet you can collect at least one from each TBN poster who currently has a tractor.
My neighbor, for instance could tell you the one about his helpful neighbor with the Power Trac who mowed the tall grass behind his low roofed shed -- and removed the rain gutter with the ROPS/canopy.
Or tested the mower on the fourth PVC 4" pipe to the septic system. The mower won.
Or ...

/ I'm an idiot #22  

Lost a small white peach tree the same way.........it was sickly looking when we moved in and we babied it back to a healthy status. Then in one second it was shreds in the yard.
I like the EDUCATED status myself.

/ I'm an idiot #23  

Certainly you can't seriously believe that anyone on this site is willing to admit scraping his fathers car with a loader tooth while backing up? Or admit to swinging a mower deck into his neighbors fence and taking out 2 sections? Are you nuts! things like this never happer to experianced tractor operators.

/ I'm an idiot #24  

I really like the idea of the blooper forum. It has the potential for some great stories and could create some much needed smiles on our faces. It would be nice to get a break from all of the terrorist reports, accounting scandals, stock market blues, etc. and just smile as we read and think to ourselves "yep, I did that myself so your not the only idiot around".
Here is mine. In the first weekend of getting my new L4610 I was really gung-ho in clearing brush and I was making as big a pile as I could get (wanted to really impress those driving by on the hi-way) so I was stacking the brush as high as I could get it. Eventually I got it near the point where my FEL was reaching up there pretty good and I had to drive closer and closer to the brush pile to keep stacking on top. Well eventually I drove so close that some of the 4" limbs sticking out found the holes in my middle of my grill guard and punch right through crinkling the grill on my brand new baby! I was mad at myself, embarrassed, feeling stupid, etc. I haven't even told my wife about it yet. I guess my secret is now out of the bag, and boy do I feel better. But I hope my wife doesn't start reading TBN!

/ I'm an idiot #25  

Russ,

One of the most memorable things I've ever seen on television was a PBS show entitled 'The Origin of Our Language' or something like that. It was narrated by "the most trusted man in America," Walter Chronkite.

In this particular segment he traced the origin of the word "snafu" back to it's origin in WWII. It first appeared on an engine room report on a US Navy destroyer. Apparently the vessel had taken heavy damage from the Japanese and was limping to port for repairs. The engine room crew was keeping her running using every known method and devising others on their own. The commander, despite all of this, was still insisting on daily written situation reports as per regulations.

After a few days of this, the engine room simply wrote "Situation Normal- All F***ed Up on the report. The following day the report was shortened to S.N.A.F.U. Professional that he was, Mr. Chronkite delivered the line flawlessly and without the asterisks. There was just something about hearing that from Walter Chronkite that I will never forget.

"And that's the way it is."

/ I'm an idiot #26  

Oh, that isn't bad at all. My first effort at "gaining experience" was the day they dropped my tractor off. I fired it up, engaged the slasher, and started gleefully mowing up the side of my gravel drive. No problems until I got to the top, where the concrete slab started. As I crested the top of the hill I found out that a brush hog on an angle will actually cut the corner off of a concrete driveway!

Mental count of sprinklers that need to be replaced due to getting a bit too close and snapping (or mowing over) the PVC riser - currently three.

And it was only this season that I managed to smash one of my water mains, because I was *sure* that I could get the deck just a bit closer to the fence (where the valve and main had a riser).

Oh, yeah, this thread could get huge. I think I'll stop contributing now - it's too easy /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif!

...Chris

/ I'm an idiot #27  

<font color=red>tend to apply the term experienced when I've done something like that. You're not an idiot - - You're experienced ! </font color=red>

Unless you keep doing it over, and over, and over...........

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ I'm an idiot #28  

i done almost the same thing, was dumping some dirt close to the house, and let off the hst pedal, but tractor was still creeping(i had my foot on hst) so i said to myself SELF PUT ON THE BRAKE! so i mashed on the hst pedal (used to an old ford) so i ended up replacing a few pieces of siding. thank the overseer of tractor mistakes for no more damage than that. always be careful!!!!!!

/ I'm an idiot #29  

How about taking out one of four deck posts (8 feet tall and hit the corner one) on your parents 2nd story deck with a Snapper rear engine mower (did I mention you shouldn't start off in 5th? The front tires don't touch the ground!), getting hit on the head with the post and then running into the boat before getting the thing stopped? The deck dropped 8-10 inches... The contractor who built the deck did not secure the bottom of the posts, and had only toenailed the top.

Jeff
Helen, GA

/ I'm an idiot #30  

Hey Gary and Kodiak,

Believe me, I know S.N.A.F.U. Not only was I in the Navy, but I work for a municipality! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Say, I think we're on to something here! Look at all the responses we've already had to telling our <font color=blue>Blooper</font color=blue> stories, and we don't even have an official forum yet!! WOW! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Muhammad, you gotta come through for us buddy! This is an untapped well of information, knowledge, and a whole lot of guffaws! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Think he'll hear us if we chant?

WE WANT BLOOPERS! WE WANT BLOOPERS! WE WANT BLOOPERS!