Buying Advice I'm breaking down and buying new

/ I'm breaking down and buying new
Try Simplicity. I had a Conquest for 3 years with 0 problems and a great cut. I moved up to a Ventrac for simple and easy attachment changes.

What's ballpark cost for a 4500 and a 60" mower? I've always kinda loved these things, but I don't have many dealers around and I hate the run around they give on price, always quoting MSRP when they don't plan on selling at MSRP.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #12  
Some of my neighbors have JD's. I always thought that Cub's shaft drive was better than relying on a belt to drive the tractor. Also it seemed like JD charged $400-500 more for the same amount of tractor than Cub Cadet. I felt like you were paying more just for the name. For larger farm machines JD is
definitely one of the best.

Bob B.

I had JD garden tractors since 1970 and all but one was shaft drive. The cheaper John Deeres are more than likely not shaft drive. You pay for what you get.

Maybe they are more expensive but the price comes from something value added.. The huge dealer network...the availability of parts for a looong time...resale value,,, ergonomic value. People buy them for the same reason people but Stihl chainsaws and Cadillacs and Harleys. The name has value but it is because of the things I mentioned.

Plus I need my retirement pay to continue :thumbsup:

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #13  
What's ballpark cost for a 4500 and a 60" mower? I've always kinda loved these things, but I don't have many dealers around and I hate the run around they give on price, always quoting MSRP when they don't plan on selling at MSRP.

My 4500Y with 60" side discharge mower would run about 23k. They are the most well built small utility tractor on the market.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #14  
What would you suggest? I won't buy anything not American made, and I want a tractor style rider because for the investment, I want to ability to clear snow and tow a wagon.

I'm not so sure these days. I have an M50 tank with less than 200 hours on it, I'm on my 5th set of front deck wheels, they have fittings and do get greased but with open shafts and no seals they wear out in NO time. Also have had to replace 2 of the deck mower bearings (no big deal).

Also have a 3000 series garden tractor with 280 hours on it bought used cheap for snowblowing my business and it works very well and blows snow like nothing I've ever seen. The front end is worn out stupidly, the steering arm is so loose that I loctited it on permanently, also the steering I beam has so much slop there was 1/2 turn of play in the steering. This is very unacceptable for a machine with so few hours.

Read some of their facebook comments:

Ragen Pearson Thank you for not covering the warranty on my mower. It's been a month and a half of battling with you. I will do my best to steer everyone away from your junk!
9 キ July 13 at 12:43am
Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Ragen - We're sorry to hear that you have not received the answers you're looking for from our authorized service center. If you would like to discuss this further, the most efficient way for our team to solve this problem is to help you over the phone. Please give us a call at 1(877) 428-2349 and mention your personal incident number 160713-000370.
1 キ July 13 at 7:42am

Cub Cadet | Facebook

I've been eyeing those bad boy mowers from TSC and they look quite well built. I have no idea what I'd buy new these days. Fred

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #15  
I found that the prices appear to be "fixed" (I thought Price-fixing was illegal)

Bob B.

That's referred to in retail as "fair trade pricing"
The purpose is to protect consumers from gouging and to protect other dealers from scalping the market. It's been around forever albeit not as common as it used to be.

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #16  
I had JD garden tractors since 1970 and all but one was shaft drive. The cheaper John Deeres are more than likely not shaft drive. You pay for what you get.
From what I've read, the X700 series and above have shaft drive but the lower series have belt drive.

Bob B.

So I spend a year and half doing research, making spreadsheets and such. I find multiple dealers, and spend a few hours last Friday speaking with two salesmen about the pros and cons of one vs the other, at a dealer that sells two of the models, a ways away from home but I went there because they deal both.

I grab my fiance on Saturday, and we head up there. First, we get on the Simplicity and the deck handle is loose. It won't allow the button to press far enough to release the latch to lower the deck. It's an easy fix but it's too late. She's done. The Simplicity is dead to her. Then we get on the Cub. something is messed up with the steering. It'll steer from full left to almost straight and no farther. Obviously something got assembled wrong and it's probably simple fix, but alas, there's no getting her back. She's done. The Cub is dead to her.

So the owner of the dealership comes out and asks us how our experience is going, and I'm getting ready to be diplomatic and work this experience in my favor. She interjects "can I have the key to that one?" She tries out a Simplicity Courier 25/52 for about 5 minutes.

Guess which one we went home with?

/ I'm breaking down and buying new #18  
So I spend a year and half doing research, making spreadsheets and such. I find multiple dealers, and spend a few hours last Friday speaking with two salesmen about the pros and cons of one vs the other, at a dealer that sells two of the models, a ways away from home but I went there because they deal both.

I grab my fiance on Saturday, and we head up there. First, we get on the Simplicity and the deck handle is loose. It won't allow the button to press far enough to release the latch to lower the deck. It's an easy fix but it's too late. She's done. The Simplicity is dead to her. Then we get on the Cub. something is messed up with the steering. It'll steer from full left to almost straight and no farther. Obviously something got assembled wrong and it's probably simple fix, but alas, there's no getting her back. She's done. The Cub is dead to her.

So the owner of the dealership comes out and asks us how our experience is going, and I'm getting ready to be diplomatic and work this experience in my favor. She interjects "can I have the key to that one?" She tries out a Simplicity Courier 25/52 for about 5 minutes.

Guess which one we went home with?

Let that be a lesson to ya - spreadsheets are a complete waste of time :)

Let that be a lesson to ya - spreadsheets are a complete waste of time :)

I'm conditioned to not be able to function without data. Good thing I'm hitching up with Miss Impulse!

Last edited: