I'm confused here...

/ I'm confused here... #1  

Jackrabbit_Slim

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710
I\'m confused here...

The UDT in my B2710 was fried yesterday when it ran for about 5 hours with the parking brake on. (That's a whole other story.)

I bought this tractor used with 201 hours on it, and the UDT level was high on the dipstick. I thought somebody might have checked it with the loader up or something like that and over filled.

The dealer advised just draining it down to the acceptable level.

Haven't been able to measure how much fluid came out today (will try to get to it tomorrow). But I filled exactly half a liter shy of spec, and the level is way high on the dipstick again.

I'll be calling the dealer in the morning. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Slim

/ I'm confused here... #2  
Re: I\'m confused here...

Slim,
How many drain plugs did you remove? There should be 3-4. Some else that has a B2710 or has had one should be able to tell you the exact number. If you didn't take them all out, then you would be over in fluid.

/ I'm confused here...

Oh, I got all four, Jerry. I'm starting to wonder about the dipstick (and I'm not talking about the guy who ran for five hours with the brake on). Perhaps the old one was lost and replaced with something that "looked like a good fit?" I want to let the old UDT settle overnight and siphon off the top when I measure volume in hopes of getting an idea as to how much crud and corruption I had in there.

Thanks,

Slim

/ I'm confused here... #4  

Have you changed the fluid sense the 5 hour incident?

/ I'm confused here...

You bet. This is the change.

As the dealer recommended, I dropped the UDT level to "between the lines" on the dipstick about 20 hours ago. The brake thing happened yesterday. Shut 'er down right away and changed the fluid out today. After measuring exactly 13.5 liters back in, I'm way over the top line on the stick again.

Slim

/ I'm confused here... #6  

The standard rule that I use is to measure what came out and put back an identical amount. Manuals and dip sticks have been known to be wrong many times before...

/ I'm confused here... #7  

Junkman,

What formula do you employ to calculate the amount of oil on the garage floor??????????? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a great weekend.
ron

/ I'm confused here... #8  

Get a scale and weigh a quantity of Speedy Dry..... then use the Speedy Dry to pick up the oil. Sweep all this into a container and weigh it. Then deduct the tare of the container and the original weight of the Speedy Dry. This will tell you the physical weight of the oil that you spilled, not the oil weight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Empty container of contaminated Speedy Dry/oil and pour into the container, the proper amount of fresh oil to equal the physical weight of the oil spilled. Add to that 3% additional oil for the amount of oil that has soaked into the concrete. You calculations if done properly should be good enough for Government work to Military Standard... 89-47650-AB-54286- for recovery of spilled oil. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ I'm confused here... #9  

Wow Junkman. I had no idea your expertise extended so far. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS.
Intestine. That was a good one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I'm confused here... #10  

Junkman, I am impressed with the breadth and depth of your knowledge in the field of Basic Science (BS)............

Now where can I find a set of balance scales that are bigger than grams?????????????????????????

Have a great day.... I get some seat time today. Getting ready to break up a 12x15 concrete patio (renting a jackhammer) and starting on a 14 x 20 deck...........

Ron