I'm in a pretty bad fix.

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #1  

Shantycoke

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota B7800, Kubota T1570
Poured concrete last week for a 20'x30' patio, which turned out really nice, and just in case the truck had any concrete left, I went ahead and formed up a walkway under an overhang at the basement entrance to my barn.
Well, there was some concrete left over, so I had the driver pull up th the bank near my barn, and he shot my loader full of concrete about 8 times , and I dumped it in my formed in area. (By the way, a B7800 will handle a loader FULL of concrete with no problems). Any way, while my brother-in-law and nephews worked the patio, I hurried up and floated the walkway, and put a broom finish on it. I had one section in the corner that needed worked, so I stuck my right foot between the form and the ditch around the form, and squatted down to touch up the corner. Well I get done, and stand up, turn sideways to walk away, and my foot got stuck. Everything from my knee up twisted, but below my knee stayed the way it was. Tore the guts clear out of my knee. Can barely bend it to drive the tractors, and hurts constantly. I had an MRI yesterday, and go back to the doc tomorrow. He figures my knee needs some cuttin and stitchin. I'll probably have some time off work, but will get no projects done beacuse I can't even manipulate the pedals on my tractor. Can't climb a tree or walk in the woods, so no bow hunting, or squirrel or rabbit or anything. With any luck, I'll be able to bow hunt from the second story balcony off our bedroom. Wouldn't normally do that, but we use the meat, and it's legal, but it just doesn't seem right.
Guess I'm gonna have to watch some football and drive the old ball & chain nuts for a while. It's only been a week and I'm already going crazy.
Just needed to vent. You know how frustration is.
Pat

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #2  
The biggest thing is to give your body time heal... I see a lot of patients that have had successful procedures and/or treatments only to return in a few weeks worse off then when they started...

On the bright side, if you can call it that, I would rather have just about any kind of orthopedic procedure today in 2007 than even 10 years ago.

As one TBN'er to another... feel free to vent anytime

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #3  
That's really sucks. I found myself getting old too, I have to be careful from now on. Just two weeks ago, I was working in the engine bay of my car for a few hours, I then ran to the backyard to move the garden hose to water my new grass, I heard a terrible lound pop noise coming from my calf, I was down like getting hit by a bullet, I was looking for blood but there was none. It turned out, I hyper extended my Achiles tendon, thanks goodness I'm back and driving my 5 spd without issue.

I can totally related to your situation not being able to do any thing is kind of frustrating. Hope you will get better soon.

Alex

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #4  
Hey Pat
Just know that todays knee surgery goes very good. I had it done, two years ago, and have no problem with it today. I did see it on
Discovery Health, the other day, and boy was it tuff, seeing them, push and shove those , tools, into the knee, just be glad you will be knocked out. Attached is a photo, of my knee a week after the surgey, looks OK but a little black and blue.
Takes about two weeks, before you can start Thereopy, then you just get going after that.

Hope all goes well with your procedure.

Troy.

Attachments

• March 2006 119 crop (Medium).jpg
    March 2006 119 crop (Medium).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 483
   / I'm in a pretty bad fix. #5  
I am hoping to "retire" in 4 years (at 60). I am hoping that I will still have a few years left to enjoy playing on the farm. I should have bought my tractor years ago when it would have reduced the wear and tear on my poor feeble body:D

When we are younger and have kids, we can't afford to buy the toys we need. When we are older and the kids are able to look after themselves, and we can afford the toys, it is too late. The damage has been done. It is a cruel life:(

Cityfarma

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #6  
Shantycoke:

I am sorry to hear about your knee :(. I broke my right leg and "blew out" my ACL jumping off a sailboat years ago :eek:. I needed a knee rebuild :(. I was immobalized for a long time and needed a lot of PT. Do not push your rehab and cooperate with PT. I was able to get full strength and range of motion back because I listened to the doctor and physical therapists (I did drive my standard vehicles with my crutch and cane though :rolleyes:). Hang in there and feel free to vent. Jay

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #7  
Hey Pat wow, I thought you were leading up to tell us that with all the concrete to work with you forgot to clean out the FEL bucket and now it has hardened and you are not sure how to get it cleaned up!

As for the knee I had one done last year, went in at 6:30 AM and the wife picked me up at 9:30 AM and we were on our way home. First day or two you will be a bit sore and tough to get around, but keep the pills flowing.

I blew mine out in August but didn't have the operation until October. Didn't want to miss the last couple of months in the mountains. Doctor felt it wouldn't get any worse so if I could stand the pain it was okay with him.

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #8  
:( STAY WITH YOUR THERAPY!

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #9  
cityfarma said:
I am hoping to "retire" in 4 years (at 60). I am hoping that I will still have a few years left to enjoy playing on the farm. I should have bought my tractor years ago when it would have reduced the wear and tear on my poor feeble body:D

When we are younger and have kids, we can't afford to buy the toys we need. When we are older and the kids are able to look after themselves, and we can afford the toys, it is too late. The damage has been done. It is a cruel life:(

Cityfarma

That's exactly why I'm getting a tractor now (small one BX24) at age 48. My wife and I have been digging out boulders, fixing the road with a wheel barrow, shovel and rake and we are hurting the next day. It's good to be out and all moving, but it's not exactly aerobic exercise. One of us is gonna get hurt. I'll probably wish I got it earlier too.

/ I'm in a pretty bad fix. #10  
Shantycoke said:
Just needed to vent. You know how frustration is.
Pat

Pat Vent Away!!!
God Speed In Your Recovery!

P.S. I'd be milking this with the wife. Keep mentioning how nice the pad looks. Then mention how her rubbing your back would take your mind off all the pain in your leg! MILK IT!!