I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for?

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #11  
   / I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #12  
I'm a member of a motocross track club. We have two Oliver 1800s, and they are tanks and work very well for us. The price was right too, about $4000 each.

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for?
Well I found out it's not 26xx hours. The hours gauge doesn't work (need to buy a new cable). Still the last owner has fresh clean fluids and filters on it so I don't feel too bad. I'm having fun just playing with it, cleaning her up bit by bit. oliver 1800.jpg

Thanks for the support guys.
Sam

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #14  
Looks like a good deal, my grandfather and uncles all had Olivers, I bought an 1855D about ten years ago, what a work horse.

Dave

Would any of you fine people be able to recommend a place to purchase a block heater for my 1800. Not interested in the magnetic kind.

Thanks
Sam

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #16  
Check on ebay for the oliver 3/4" pipe thread, screw in heater. Yesterdays tractor has them listed for 49.34.

This is the factory type, used on all heavy equiptment. You just remove a pipe plug and screw it in.

Check out Oliver Heritage magazine, they have a web sight with, ask an oliver mechanic forum, lots of good info there.

Dave

Thanks, I'll be sure to check every lead. Got to keep my new girl up and running.
Sam

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #18  
I had a 1958, 880 Oliver. I love to hear those Ollie 6 cylinder engines under load. Smooth sound and power. That will make you a great tractor for the money.

Steve

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #19  
I had a 1958, 880 Oliver. I love to hear those Ollie 6 cylinder engines under load. Smooth sound and power. That will make you a great tractor for the money.

Steve

Funny you say that because that's just what I felt plowing in heavy clay with an 1800. Drop the plow and that engine just leans into the work, smooth like you say. I don't know if it's the combination of weight and power, the engine or what, but it was nice.

The Oliver 1650 always seemed sort of tinny, gear whiny and jittery by comparison, but it was a good tractor too.

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #20  
Those Oliver engines have very sensitive governors. I love to watch them compete in antique tractor pulls, they usually do pretty good. It is interesting to me that back in the 1930's Oliver started with their high compression,high RPM, 6 cyl engines in tractors. John Deere stayed with their 2 cylinder engines until 1960 or so and the others used long stroke 4 or 6 cylinder. Oliver seemed to March to a different drummer