Tractor Sizing I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift.

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #31  
I have a couple of forklifts and a tractor that gets used as one. As said, all tractors are lousy forklifts and many forklifts are lousy forklifts. My 6K Toyota with a single stage mast and no sideshift is great as a forklift because you can see the forks through the rack. The 16K Yale takes a spotter because you can't see anything even with 8' forks. The Yale has a 3 stage mast and sideshift so that rack is packed tight. If you are going to use a tractor make sure to get one with a self leveling loader, it will help a lot with not dropping loads. And always have more ballast on the back of the tractor than you think you will need because can try to tip sideways because one rear wheel will try to lift as the front axle pivots - scary feeling.

A skid steer is OK but they get tippy real fast, a pneumatic tire forklift is fine in hard dirt but suck when they get stuck (my little Toyota weighs 9500 pounds and about 6000 pounds of that are on the smaller back wheels). Telehandlers are great if you are outside and have a lot of room to maneuver but suck in tight quarters and often just don't fit. The old style off road lifts that look like a tractor that drives in reverse are about the best bet but are hard to find that will lift more than 5 or 6K pounds and are best used on hard pack especially when lifting anything heavy - have one wheel sink and things get ugly quick. Good luck and have fun.

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #32  
A 6k rated forklift will probably lift and move double that and it’s still way more than a tractor will do.

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #33  
I think a 3 point forklift is the cheap answer if you don't have to pick up items very high.

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #34  
I think a 3 point forklift is the cheap answer if you don't have to pick up items very high.

It would still take a good size tractor to lift 2500 pound pallets plus the weight of the attachment which is quite a bit on the 3 point hitch.

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift.
I'm just looking to use it to move trailers around easily over grass and uneven areas without worrying about getting stuck, plus using it in the shop to lift and move around heavy items that are too heavy for me to lift. Say like I want to move the table saw to a different area of the shop. Or unload a heavy tool from a truck.

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #36  
I'm just looking to use it to move trailers around easily over grass and uneven areas without worrying about getting stuck, plus using it in the shop to lift and move around heavy items that are too heavy for me to lift. Say like I want to move the table saw to a different area of the shop. Or unload a heavy tool from a truck.

Depends on the trailers, but your only moving tongue weight in that case, so much less than the full weight of the trailer. What sucks about moving stuff around the shop with a tractor is maneuverability. You need a lot of space to move around. But you have a lot more that you can do with a tractor vs. a forklift. Doesn’t sound to me like you have a good justification for a dedicated forklift. How often are you hauling 2500lbs in your truck bed?!?!

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #37  

I personally would get a used skid steer. Way more maneuverable than a tractor and can lift way more weight. Track ones are really good.

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #38  
Farmer John: I think you really need to clarify more exactly what you want to do. Your original post suggested moving 2500 lb loads like with an off road forklift. We all assumed these would be pallet loads. But your last post, suggested just moving trailers around, and then picking up items in your workshop that you do not want to lift manually. If this is correct, you then have a manageable task for tractors.

Trailers have a tongue weight, which is the weight of the trailer on a hitch. I have never seen a trailer hitch weight exceed 1500lbs. So if you find a tractor with a three point lift specification of 1800lbs, you should be able to easily move most trailers around your property. Typically, tractors in the 35 to 45 hp range should have 3pt lift capability of 1800lbs or more. So check the specs carefully. Also, you must look at open station tractors, if you want to move heavy items around inside your workshop. No cab tractors allowed.

Last edited:
   / I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #39  
Having the only neighborhood tractor I have helped neighbors with deliveries and so far the Deere 110 has handled it all.

Pallets of roof shingles the heaviest do far... but it was all I could do and had to add air to the front tires...

Not something for everyday but sure handy when needed.

Lift at pivot to 5' is 3133

With heavy duty Deere Forks rated 2300

/ I'm looking to buy a tractor to use primarily as an offroad forklift. #40  
Having the only neighborhood tractor I have helped neighbors with deliveries and so far the Deere 110 has handled it all.

Pallets of roof shingles the heaviest do far... but it was all I could do and had to add air to the front tires...

Not something for everyday but sure handy when needed.

Lift at pivot to 5' is 3133

With heavy duty Deere Forks rated 2300

Your 110 lifted a whole pallet of asphalt shingles? My M59 will lift a 67 sheet bundle of OSB but it wouldn’t lift a bundle of shingles.