Implement help

/ Implement help
Seymojo, a little school pride got in your way eh?
This teacher deserves to be ripped on a bit though. I'm paying a ton of money for this class and he's done close to no teaching. All my other classes are much more interactive. But that's a bit off the subject at hand I suppose.

The 'being lazy' part is not so true, the directions in the assignment actually direct me to do exactly what I'm trying to do here. "Reference local extension sites for production information or contact local producers."

I've done the first and living in downtown Portland makes it a bit hard to find 'local producers' in person. I've also done the google thing (it's how I found this site) and drove out to the closest tractor stores. So I'm not a fan of being called lazy when I'm working my butt off here. The info I'm asking for on this site is just a part of my research. I'm not relying on it to do the work for me.

All I was really hoping for here was to find someone that actually has experience harvesting wheat and big acreage. Then they could tell me what they have or what they would like to have to do that job. That's exactly what the scope of my assignment asks me to do.

/ Implement help #12  
PDXRyan- I was in college not too long ago and I had projects very similar to what you're dealing with and being that I was a 'city' guy I would have done exactly what you're doing. I wish I could help you more than these 'name callers', but I'm not a farmer and only have about 5 acres with no animals yet. I will wish you good luck and say keep trying.

/ Implement help #13  
Have you checked out the Oregon Farm Statistics sites?

Area where wheat is grown? [500 acres may be a bit small in comparison to the actual farms in your wheat growing area]

Look for YouTube videos involving wheat farming. May give you an idea of equipment.

Go to Equipment dealer web sites in your area and the Home web sites of the suppliers and see what all equipment they have. Make sure to look at used equipment also for ideas of what the farmers are using.:)

I'd try and help more but it's been 50 years since I have traveled in that area so it's well out of date I am!:eek:

/ Implement help #14  
Seymojo, a little school pride got in your way eh?
This teacher deserves to be ripped on a bit though. I'm paying a ton of money for this class and he's done close to no teaching. All my other classes are much more interactive. But that's a bit off the subject at hand I suppose.

The 'being lazy' part is not so true, the directions in the assignment actually direct me to do exactly what I'm trying to do here. "Reference local extension sites for production information or contact local producers."

I've done the first and living in downtown Portland makes it a bit hard to find 'local producers' in person. I've also done the google thing (it's how I found this site) and drove out to the closest tractor stores. So I'm not a fan of being called lazy when I'm working my butt off here. The info I'm asking for on this site is just a part of my research. I'm not relying on it to do the work for me.

All I was really hoping for here was to find someone that actually has experience harvesting wheat and big acreage. Then they could tell me what they have or what they would like to have to do that job. That's exactly what the scope of my assignment asks me to do.

Dude, I repeat myself you're taking the easy way out getting on here and asking these guys what would they do. i.e. you are lazy!

All I am really saying is you need to learn how to do your research. Every state has an extension service with a website that has done the analysis of farming operations such as your assignment. They give the breakdown of equipment costs, operating expenses, etc. Of course you'll have to actually read the reports. All you gonna get here are opinions and swags.

But then it's your money, waste it however you want. A college degree not only means you are able to regurgitate facts, but that you have the analytical ability to solve problems outside of your area of expertise. Right now you are at the knowledge = education phase. You need to get to the point where problem solving skills = education.

And yes, I am proud of my school. This is the best week of the year cause it's MICHIGAN WEEK! GO BUCKS!

Last edited:
   / Implement help
Well I'm sorry you don't understand what my purpose is here, but to waste your time insulting me is pretty weak.
The advice I was looking for here was not intended to be my main source of info. Plus, following one of the guidelines of my assignment is not being lazy, it's called being proactive.
I didn't think I would need to add in the visit to the machinery dealer or the calls to others, the other websites I've gone too or the books I'm reading to show that I'm actually worthy of good judgment or what ever.
However, to the people who get it and have given me their advice, it's much appreciated whether it helps with my assignment or not.

/ Implement help #16  
And yes, I am proud of my school. This is the best week of the year cause it's MICHIGAN WEEK! GO BUCKS!

I hope the bucks get stomped so the SEC doesn't have to beat them again in a BCS bowl...;)

/ Implement help #17  
Not gonna happen this year. Besides we don't pay our guys as much as those SEC cheats.

/ Implement help #18  
Dude, I repeat myself you're taking the easy way out getting on here and asking these guys what would they do. i.e. you are lazy!

All I am really saying is you need to learn how to do your research. Every state has an extension service with a website that has done the analysis of farming operations such as your assignment. They give the breakdown of equipment costs, operating expenses, etc. Of course you'll have to actually read the reports. All you gonna get here are opinions and swags.

But then it's your money, waste it however you want. A college degree not only means you are able to regurgitate facts, but that you have the analytical ability to solve problems outside of your area of expertise. Right now you are at the knowledge = education phase. You need to get to the point where problem solving skills = education.

I can't for the life of me understand why you are coming down on him like you are.
Maybe when you get older you'll understand that 'book smart' and 'street wise' are two different things.

While it's true that the extension service has guidelines that they go by, you are basically telling him to copy facts written by someone else.

There is absoluteley nothing more important than 'real world experience' as you will find out as you age.

In my opinion, he is doing the EXACT right thing by asking thousands of 'REAL' world people, their opinions, their options, their experiences.....which he will more than likely analyze to come up with a proper plan.

I personally would love to see your report as compared to his.

/ Implement help #19  
Here is a copy of the post I put in the comparison thread because it looked like I may get some good advice in this section too. Thanks!

Howdy! My name is Ryan and I'm taking a class at OSU about Farm Implements. So I need some advice on what kind of equipment I need. This is your chance to list your dream setup if price was not a main obstacle.

The situation posed by my teacher is that I just inherited 500 acres of usable land. All the old machinery was sold to satisfy debts so now I need to buy it all new.

So I figured I would just grow 500 acres of Wheat. I have 12 working days to prep and plant and then 12 working days to harvest.

I'm a noob at this so I have little idea what I need, so I would be very appreciative to get any feedback/ideas from y'all.

Things I need help on: Tractor size, Primary tillage implement, secondary tillage, seed planting (thinking I'd go with a grain drill), chemical applicator, then some of the harvesting equipment like the combine size and grain trucks (although I may say I'm going to go with custom hire on that aspect).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Interesting thread. I don't know where it got off track but...

I'm no farmer but i do know that 500 acres is a big farm. When you say Tractor.....I think you need to say "Tractors" plural and 400HP too. Combines? Harvesters? Same thing. You'll need big too. No junk.

I would think at least three tractor trailer setups depending on how far you are from a mill.

Chemical spraying is always subbed out for 10-15 an acre or whatever but if it's about implements get ready to spend a lot on application equipment.

Don't forget 6 grand for a hot tub!

/ Implement help #20  
Honestly I think you have to be looking at 2 to 2.5 million dollars to outfit a 500 acre farming operation from top to bottom start to finish buying new and not scrimping.