Implement hitch jacks that don't rust solid

/ Implement hitch jacks that don't rust solid #1  

FarmWrench

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 180 CVT
I try to keep buckets over mine, and it works sometimes. Sick of junk Bull dog jacks. Anything else you know?

/ Implement hitch jacks that don't rust solid #2  
Almost all jacks have a hole near the top to occasionally squirt in a little oil. If there is no oil hole you can squirt some where the crank shaft goes into the housing. I live where it rains 40-50 inches per year and have no jack rusting problems. A little oil goes a long way......

/ Implement hitch jacks that don't rust solid
Oil? Never heard of it. Tell me more. Does it float on water? Because without a cover my jacks fill with water. They don't come with a drain hole and when I have added one ants and other things find a happy home even when it sinks into the soil and no longer drains. The thrust bearing on the top tends to fail even when the screw is free. I have rebuilt many by machining the screw to take a tapered roller bearing to replace the failed thrust bearing with bb sized balls that fall to the bottom of the jack as soon as there is no pressure to hold them in.

My equipment is a bit heavier than the average. The jack that inspired this post was for my roller. A 30 foot roller. What do you roll with in Texas? I heard it is bigger there. Would you like pictures of said roller and water/rust filled jack? I'll trade if you show me this magical"Oil".

ForumRunner_20150518_204555.png

ForumRunner_20150518_204610.png

ForumRunner_20150518_204622.png

ForumRunner_20150518_204634.png

The puddle of water has dried up a bit.

Back to my original request. Does anyone make a jack with better material? Because this one is three years old and was submerged in used hydraulic fluid (hy-tran) and covered with a spray jug for a year. It sat for two more and this is the result. I got my butt chewed for putting a new jack into a trash bag and drowning it in used oil..er..hytran (again not this Texas oil you speak of) until I got the last air out of it.

I've used never seize on new bulldogs but I can't say I got any better results. They are disposable.

/ Implement hitch jacks that don't rust solid #5  
Some marine jacks may be more corrosion resistant. How strong do you need?

Seasense

Bruce

/ Implement hitch jacks that don't rust solid #6  
I have found that lubricating the jack is the key to flawless operation. I pour oil down the top and or take them apart periodically, clean and grease them by hand. I suppose you could just let one soak in a barrel of diesel if you wanted.

/ Implement hitch jacks that don't rust solid #7  
I can tell from your response that proper maintenance is not your forte so I would advise buying cheap Bulldog jacks by the dozen and just trading them out every 6 months or so or purchasing a tractor for each implement so they never have to be taken on and off. :cool:
PS- From the pictures you posted it appears you have plenty of huge covered buildings to store your tractors and implements out of the weather so rain/snow/water/rust should be no problem.

Thank you bcp. That 2500# jack will get looked into. The model number leads me to think it is still a bulldog, maybe they don't only build junk. People like you help make forums like this work.

Texas, I would like to apologize for my impolite tone. I'm sure you can teach me many things. The truth hurts that I take such bad care of things.

Hydraulic oil has no detergents. Detergents in motor oil aid in making emulsion and reduce the effectiveness of oil at resisting water. I filled the jack with oil because the company I grew peas for went through a union shutdown, foreign takeover and stopped for three years. Knowing this roller would not be used I tried to "mothball" it. Putting on a brand new jack. Filling with grease would have hydrolocked the jack.

Yes I have buildings. Not enough buildings of sufficient size. I had finished using the roller and it is parked to be washed with the hot water washer behind the door in the background. The rollers will get paint. Everything greased after it dries.

Since you are a maintenance guru, please let me know what you recommend for condensation. We also receive over 40" of precipitation, some as snow. (You hear about the seven feet that hit Western NY in November? We only had two feet here. I moved a bit of snow for the guys who could not pile or blow it any more. ) When you have iron in/under snow and ice and the spring air is trying to melt down the winter, ice will form as the condensed moisture freezes. Concrete floors without insulation under them will sweat into June.

I hope we can get back on a friendly basis.

/ Implement hitch jacks that don't rust solid #9  
FarmWrench,
There are no problems between us. I actually interpreted your answer to me as if you were throwing a bunch of B.S. my way to tease me, and I answered in kind. I meant no disrespect and now know you were deadly serious about the problem.

I put about 10-12 drops of oil down the shaft of every trailer crank I own (6 at present count) once or twice a year and after almost 50 years of farm work have never had one freeze up or go bad on me. I assume constant use is also a key as the parts are moved around inside and not allowed to rust or freeze up. All my trailers are used 12 months of the year. As you know the more machinery sits and is not used the more often it appears to break. If I was in your position I'd end each season with a small dollop of grease at any point on the jack where water could penetrate and go from there. I agree that most modern farm products are not made anywhere as well as they were years ago and are easier to wear out or break. Condensation......Not much help. Here on the Texas Gulf Coast the humidity is sky high most of the year and many metal parts sweat inside my barns. We have the advantage of no snow and sometimes very warm weather in the Winter up to 80 degrees (F) and machinery does not sit long at all. I mow up until Thanksgiving each year, take 2 months off, then start mowing pasture that has wild Winter Rye and oats under the pecan trees in the orchard.
PS- Don't know were you are located in New York. About 15 years back I was rebuilding a 1899 Leggett Horseless carriage originally made West of New York City out in the country and had a lot of contact with folks in libraries and historical societies to attain information on the builder and history of the Buggy. Everyone I contacted from New York state was very friendly and helpful. A lot nicer than I had presumed and very down to earth. I have seen pictures of the Hudson River Valley in one part of the state and others of the Finger Lakes region further West. Beautiful country. It would be nice to visit but I assume I would miss the cactus, Indians and Rattlesnakes here! :)
1899 Leggett.jpg

I'm south of Buffalo. Almost equal distance to the state line in three directions. Giant potholes, abysmal sports teams, sky high taxes, Gestapo gun laws and months of snow, and Canadian beer make me nasty at first but eventually I warm up. Get closer to down state and the mood improves. Finger lake is three hours. Hudson river is almost five.

Nice horseless carriage. We used to build all kinds of things in NY. Most kids wouldn't believe that.

Baulm hydraulic has the parts I need and it looks like better prices than tractor supply. $10 for the bearing. Lack of use is a real problem. I had an old hay bailer that had a jack of 2" or so square tube with three or four holes on the outside tube that had a slightly different space than the inside tube. A leaver arm was used to lift the weight and one of the holes would line up. Then a pin was inserted holding the load. This was great unless you slipped and the jack handle would first fly up and then down because it used the holes in the leg. Big pain for widely different or springy hitches. But it was simple and rugged. OSHA would freak out knowing such things were once done.

I think I can get a picture of a similar one.