Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting

/ Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting
Thanks for the many suggestions, everyone. Although, as is often the case, there seems to be a few ways to go with this and so I am still not entirely sure what implement to buy first.

The moldboard plow sounds good...I'll see if I can find what they look like and where they are available. I actually have a gas-powered hand-held auger that I tried to use for a few trees. Helped, but was still hard work...I'm sure it would be much easier if the tractor was doing the holding of the thing!

The spade looks cool, too, but I am not lucky enough to have a bucket on my tractor :(

Oh, and now I am scared about this root-bound issue, as I am not sure I broke up the soil enough in the area beyond the root ball. Time will tell, I guess. I'll be more careful with this spring's trees!

/ Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting #12  
Bull88,
What size trees are you planting? Bare root seedlings? Larger trees? The answer to this would make a big difference on your options.

/ Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting #13  
I yse the local boy scout troop. It is work toward their forestry merit badge.

/ Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting #14  
Bull88 it might be your best action to be sure on the trees you are planting they can handle the soil you have. Some will handle such better than others.

/ Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting #15  
You might also consider a raised bed comprised of your clay soil ammended with compost, sand and gypsum.

K

/ Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting
I had meant to answer the question about the size of these tress earlier, sorry for the oversight.

Most of what I buy is in the 4-6' tall range, with a burlap root ball. These are primarily pine trees at this time, and so they do well in or at least adapt to soils from sandy to clay. I have plenty more trees to plant...when I'm done, I don't want to see any neighbors, just have privacy and wildlife!

The raised bed idea is interesting, but sounds possible like more work?

Dave

/ Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting #17  
Bull88 I'm doing just what you are, planting trees around the parameter, in heavy clay soil. I'm planting seedlings from the local forestry. Started off with a post hole digger, dropped that idea after four holes. With hundred of holes to dig it's to slow. Went to middle buster, rolled out large clods with not enough loose soil to even pack around the seedling. Then went to the sub soiler. It leaves clods but smaller then the middle buster and does at least leave enough loose dirt to pack around the tree. If you find a better way of doing it let me know, I've still got about a thousand seedlings to plant

/ Implement to Prepare for Tree Planting #18  
I help a friend thats a forester sometimes and made a few things to speed up planting. one is a tree hole digger that goes on a phd. its just a pilot shaft tip from a post hole auger with an arm coming off one side of the shaft about 18 to 20 inches up. The arm holds a scalloped disk blade at an angle. The pilot cutter extends about 4 inches past the bottom of the disc blade. It will started a hole and gring the soil making it easier to back fill and makes a largeenough hole for the root ball. also takes care of the local weeds.
The other is just a subsoiler with a coulter wheel mounted ahead of the shank to cut the sod. and a pair of wings on the back of the shank to make the hole spreat out. Its basically a tree planter with out the rider and press wheels. If Im around the tree farm this week ill take a few pictures of the tree hole digger.
One other thing if you want to make a raised bed thats loose you could take a single gang disk or adjust the top link where the back gang isnt touching the ground this makes it pile all the soil in a raised mound. Just middle bust subsoil or break the ground firsth then you can make your bed with the disk. It just takes multple passes.

Last edited: