Box Scraper Implement Use - Rakes / Box Blades, etc.

/ Implement Use - Rakes / Box Blades, etc.
Thanks Dana. Good pictures. It's the drawbar with the clevis that I was asking about. Some look like they're allowed some sway. Dunno why. I was thinking more about using the drawbar with a ball mount to move a trailer. Hadn't thought about moving things around with a chain... Sure would make moving a shed easier next time.

/ Implement Use - Rakes / Box Blades, etc. #22  
smalltime said:
And... Limit sway on a brush cutter. Makes sense. But not on a plow? Why? Allow the plow to go around a rock rather than stick fast? What about a disc harrow?

Interesting stuff, this.

You don't use anti-sway or stabilizer bars on a 3pt plow.. and no.. they rarely ever 'go around' a rock :rolleyes:.. that's what replaceable points are for.. or trip plows.. etc.

soundguy

/ Implement Use - Rakes / Box Blades, etc. #23  
smalltime said:
And... Limit sway on a brush cutter. Makes sense. But not on a plow? Why? Allow the plow to go around a rock rather than stick fast? What about a disc harrow?

Interesting stuff, this.

Think of a plow in the ground as sort of like a rudder on a ship. Now, put stabilizer bars on the plow and it can't move at all. Try making even the slightest steering corrections and you'll see why no stabilizer bars on a plow. (tail wagging the dog?) The plow needs freedom to allow the tractor to move left or right as it's sort of "ruddered" in place.

Much the same theory behind no stabilizer bars on a mounted disc. That, combined with the fact that a disc frame needs some lateral movement or the frame will be twisted or broken. (plows, by nature are a little sturdier)

No stabilizer bars on mounted planters, cultivators, ect....

Back to those "2 studs"....? Can you be more specific as to WHERE they are? Also, are they threaded studs, or would they be better termed as "pins", such as those where your stabilizer bars attach?

From what I've read, those 2 studs are PROBABLY in 2 of the 4 bolt holes where a fixed drawbar mount would ordinarily attach. The ORIGINALS are hard to come by, but aftermarket drawbars and associated mounting hardware are available through most dealers. Your friendly neighborhood Tractor Supply Company SHOULD have the parts. They usually have a chart hanging with the 3-point hitch accessories that'll show you what parts and WHERE they go.

I've always found the fixed drawbar infinately more usefull than a 3-point drawbar. The 3-point bars are probably responsable for hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of rear end-over tractor flips in the hands of inexperienced (or EXPERIENCED for that matter) operators when used to pull "im-movable objects" with the drawbar in too high of a position.

And FINALLY... To address the original question, I'd think you'd be much better off with a decent box blade. A rake would serve as a compliment to a box, but wouldn't be nearly as versatile. I have a Woods 7'er and have been very happy with it. In general, the heavier a box blade is, the better the performance, provided you have the HP and traction to use it. You SHOULD have enough with your 35. I'd suggest a 6'er.

Last edited:
Beefy threaded studs. Underneath the diff, in line with the PTO but offset slightly to the right side. There's some other arrangement of stuff on centerline. I should have the camera back from MIL Tuesday and I'll post a photo. I tried going through the manuals I have here but no illustrations of what I've been trying to describe.

/ Implement Use - Rakes / Box Blades, etc. #25  
"A contractor just finished the new septic drain field and I need to regrade and seed."

You might want to talk to your septic contractor. If you've had spring rains like I have I wouldn't want to be driving that Massey over your drain field. Too much weight can crush your lines and boxes.

Finally... MIL did bust my camera. But she gave me her old one as a replacement. Turns out that there are four studs. A bracket is bolted to two of them and held on by one nut.
I suppose this is to mount a swinging drawbar? I'm guessing that a swinging drawbar is so I can drag stuff around?
Or what am I suppose to attach here?

Attachments

• P5130003.JPG
    P5130003.JPG
    825.5 KB · Views: 167
   / Implement Use - Rakes / Box Blades, etc. #27  
I have no idea what that piece is but I am far from expert in this field. I'll wait untill someone else chimes in. I'd like to know.
BTW, can you zoom out a bit?

/ Implement Use - Rakes / Box Blades, etc. #28  
smalltime said:
Finally... MIL did bust my camera. But she gave me her old one as a replacement. Turns out that there are four studs. A bracket is bolted to two of them and held on by one nut.
I suppose this is to mount a swinging drawbar? I'm guessing that a swinging drawbar is so I can drag stuff around?
Or what am I suppose to attach here?

It looks to me like there are some nuts missing from that setup.

Could it possibly be for mounting a Mid Mower?

A pic showing where these are located in relation to the rear of the tractor would be helpful.

The drawbar you were asking about is used for pulling ome implements. The one that comes immediately to mind is a pull type bush hog. It's hitched to the cross drawbar to allow lifting the mower off obstructions, and probably gives a bit better turning radius.