Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #21  
Absolutely!! Your implement will have free prescription drugs for 2 years, no tax, job creation programs, etc, etc, etc. I'm even gonna offer your implement a job, such that it has an 'equal opportunity'.

-Jer.

Also we have make sure the implement's self esteem isn't harmed by making it work.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #22  
The tax will be paid at the dealership if thats who you are buying it from. I'll be impressed if they charge you tax at all at the border on a private sale from a farmer.
i use pacific custom brokers all the time and they deal with the shipping arangments too. I found them cheaper price wise for shipping than I could wrangle on uship.:thumbsup:

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #23  
What's wrong with this picture folks?

MJN,

I am sorry but I fail to see any pictures in your post. Lets see your tractors :p

Just follow the money and you will find many other pictures.

~Kevin

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #24  
mjncad said:
Also we have make sure the implement's self esteem isn't harmed by making it work.

Don't worry about that, the company will be forced to pay for counseling the implement will be OK.

Poor persecuted implement....

-Jer.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #25  
MJN,

I am sorry but I fail to see any pictures in your post. Lets see your tractors :p

Just follow the money and you will find many other pictures.

~Kevin

Follow the links in my signature.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #26  
Someone mentioned a broker. If you're importing something small - ie. in a box, and the US shipping side is willing, if you write "gift under 60$", it'll sail through. If it's something more substantial and you are not physically present at the border when your goods are crossing, someone has to 'broker' it across for you. Carriers (UPS, FedEx, USPS, Purolator, DHL, etc) all have importation services, and can do it for you. THIS IS WHERE UPS COMPLETELY RAPES YOUR WALLET - BEWARE!!! I don't allow anything to be shipped up to me via UPS.

We ship to Canada every week using US Postal Service, UPS and FedEx Ground. Based on our experience, there are a few things to consider:
Brokerage fees are charged on the Canadian side, in Canadian $ based on the value of the product in Canadian $, when it is imported. Taxes are charged on the Canadian side and vary from 5% to 13% depending on the Province and again are assessed on the Canadian value when imported. These taxes and fees change day to day based on the exchange rate and are different on the day an order is processed and when the shipment is actually imported.

Brokerage fees are charged by both UPS and by FedEx Ground. UPS charges a significant brokerage fee as a seperate item for Ground shipments. FedEx Ground charges a brokerage fee that is slightly less, but they include it in the shipping estimate rather than listing it as a seperate line item. Total cost is only a few dollars different. This difference is pretty much offset by the respective companies' handling of the GST, PST, or HST taxes mentioned above. UPS will collect taxes (and brokerage fees) prior to delivery. FedEx Ground simply issues a bill to the receiver after delivery. If the receiver ignores the bill, FedEx Ground makes no effort to collect the taxes or brokerage fees, and just charges them back to the shipper. FedEx Ground has taken as long as 4 months to notify us of a charge back. After that long, it's difficult and awkward to recover the taxes from the customer. We've gotten burned on several shipments where the customer simply did not pay the bill and FedEx Ground charged it back to us. Needless to say, we now insist on prepaying the taxes and brokerage on FedEx Ground shipments. Since the charge is actually for the Canadian side, FedEx Ground charges an additional $10 fee to allow us prepay the taxes. With that included, the total cost for shipping, brokerage and taxes are almost exactly the same as with UPS. We have about an additional hour of internal processing time cost for every FedEx Ground shipment to Canada.

Another tidbit not always understood: FedEx Express (blue lettering on the truck) and FedEx Ground (green lettering) are seperate companies. They have different policies as far as the import fees.

Happy New Year!
Harry