Improve input controls on excavator?!

/ Improve input controls on excavator?!
I have since operated the digger for some 10 hours. I am better with the controls now; ran 'rake' (boom and stick) at the same time. The machine has no arm-rests, which leads to the jerkiness when the machine start moving due to (mostly) boom movements.

1709422518508.png

The digger has (as I understand it) a three stage pump (see image)... again, this is an electric digger, hence, the pump is driven by an electric motor... which I run at half speed (no rpm meter, hence, I can only guess).

1709422334441.png

I have been looking at gauges on AliExpress, but have not yet settled on which type/range of gauge(s) to get. While I could just buy a gauge, I want a permanent solution. Meaning, I'd like to add a pressure sensor somewhere, and add a display, which also shows values from additional sensors I am putting in; e.g.; oil temperature, operating hours, battery data.

Coming to the gauge suggestion:
a) where do I best measure the pump pressure?
b) where should I measure pilot pressure? I can measure it on the control inlet or each outlet.

Huh, 'oldnslo' said it:
If hydraulic pilot I would start by installing gauges in those lines to see if joy sticks ramp pilot pressure up smoothly or does pilot pressure just jump up. Not sure what the pilot pressure will be but would suspect 500 PSI or less.

I have yet to 'find' the valve block, and create hydraulic and electrical schematics.

Last edited:
   / Improve input controls on excavator?! #12  
Fascinating machine. My hat is off to you for getting it.

Easiest place to put the meter to get real information would be in the high pressure line between the pump and the control valve. That will enable you to look at real pressure in every circuit and combination plus the relief valves.

I don't know of any way to measure pilot or regeneration directly in a way that it would mean anything.
Inexpensive valves may have neither.

Amazon has hydraulic test gauge kits for under $75. I doubt you could make your first kit with various types of fittings much cheaper.
If you like a test port position just put a "hydraulic T" there and either cap it or run a small high pressure hose to where ever suits. Terminate in a $20 gauge. You can leave the gauge inline indefinitely. I have left mine on the JD for 30+ years now.
Most gauges have too much damping to catch spikes.

One simple solution to the tame the controls from jumping might be to put a pressure reservoir on a T in the main pressure line. Adjust it to add variable damping to the entire system.

rScotty

/ Improve input controls on excavator?! #13  
Pump shows 25MPa or 25 Mega Pascal which is 250 Bar or 3,625 PSI for rated pressure. What we do not know is what pressure is each section running at. Like stated It is three section gear pump so would have three separate pressure lines which are the smaller lines labeled out on the pump as shown in the picture.

/ Improve input controls on excavator?! #14  
For gauges you should get at least 2 , a 1k psi for testing pilot pressure and 5k for working hydraulics . I bought a three gauge kit from amazon mainly for the gauges and the test lines that go to gauges. You’ll end up buying individual fittings to tap the test line into your system at various locations.
You’re pumps 3 outlet ports are most likely; main pump for 3 cylinders on boom/arm and boom swing cylinder. 2nd pump usually supplies swing motor and dozer blade . 3rd pump is your servo/pilot pump.
I’d first check the pilot pressure going into boom valve, T in at valve or dead head gauge into pilot line. Operate boom lift and see if pilot pressure smoothly increases with lever stroke, most pilot systems on mini excavators max around 500psi.
System servo pressure is tested by teeing in a gauge at pilot filter outlet. Main pump system pressure T in at pump outlet, DoNot deadhead a gauge at pump!
Does your pilot circuit have a accumulater? Should be between pilot filter and pilot lock out solenoid, it helps take the pulsations out of pilot flow.
Some more good pictures of workings under the hood would help.
Getting some good pressure readings is first best step in diagnosis

/ Improve input controls on excavator?!
I am still deciding on the gauge kit... and am aiming for 'inside' pictures, once I figured out if there is some 'easy' way to access what is under the foot plate (floor).

Thanks, Seven Gables, for providing an idea what the three pumps are most likely for.

I have asked for a 10% refund today due to missing documentation. Will see how that goes. The supplier went as far as removing name plates; I have never seen such a thing. They did not (at least) provide the component supplier's manuals.

Again, I am happy with the machine, or what I got for the money I paid, but the missing manual will cost me lots of time to create. It also hampers efforts to improve the machine, or tap into the communication between battery and its management system.
I think I mentioned that I want to install a permanent oil pressure sensor and temperature sensor. I will relocate the battery display, or may leave it where it is but with a protective cover/screen, and create my own display with a micro-controller gathering the sensor and communication data.
What will hamper my progress with the digger is the fact that I am owner-building a passive house, which needs another year of my time to complete it (and has priority). However, I will see what I can do and will post here as I progress.

Thank you all for your input so far, I do appreciate it.

Last edited: