Improving wear of wood splitter slides

/ Improving wear of wood splitter slides #21  
On the TV here the other day was a bloke who built a wooden aeroplane in the shed of his retirement village. I haven't a clue where he keeps the whole thing assembled.

And this video below is a must watch, if you haven't seen it before. It is of an Aussie old-time sawmiller who built his sawmill from scavenged parts.
Vintage Mill - Landline - ABC

*edit* Sorry, skylarkguy, for the off-topic posts.

/ Improving wear of wood splitter slides #22  
Wow! I agree with all of you, but muddstopper, You have the BOMB! Evolution from a splitter to a full on processor. Please send pictures, please please. As for change, new car manufactures come to mind. Do you REALLY need to know what fuel mileage you are getting at this exact moment, because in another minute it will be different. I use that device they have had around for years, before I started to drive, I think they STILL call it a "fuel gauge." I built my splitter and used a black material, I believe called Delrin. No catching or binding anymore. 445A

Maybe a bomb of an Ideal. Processor isnt built just yet and pictures are only in my mind. I do plan on starting the build before the years out. Pics will be made, but if it dont work like I plan, I might just sulk away and hope everybody forgets about me. :ashamed:

/ Improving wear of wood splitter slides #23  
Regarding the SS, on balance, I still feel it's the best kinetic splitter out there. But it sure does need some changing. Highway towable, able to be towed around site from both ends, the slippery table, Adjustable height legs, and a lower center of gravity would all be on my list of changes if I were trying to sell these splitters. Next on the list would be a log lift.

I can't recall who it was (logrite?) who tried to do this to the SS, but their pricing was somewhat prohibitive I felt at the time. I don't know if they are still doing it or not.

Making it towable from both ends was the first of a few modifications when I got it home. There's actually quite a few more I need to do, some obvious, some very subtle only an experienced user would appreciate.

OK, now you've done it....I need some pics. Curious as to what you did. I added a hitch adapter to mine so my friend could tow it with his lawn tractor. It also makes a nice lever for moving it around by hand.

They used to be highway towable, but Paul changed that at some point. I suspect he didn't want the liability or something (accident) happened to make him change his mind. They are pretty top heavy, so perhaps a bit too tipsy for good stable towing.

/ Improving wear of wood splitter slides #24  
For some reason most of the wood I split seems to split at a angle, either because the grain or because of my worn out chain saw cutting the end at a angle. Whatever the reason, my first generation homemade splitter broke the welds on the guides that guide the wedge to the beam. After that happened, I beefed it up, but noticed it didn't seem to have the power I thought it should have. That's when I found out keeping the beam and the guide pieces oiled made a huge difference in splitting power. The drag from the guides on a twisted pieces of wood is tremendous and takes all your splitting power away unless it's well oiled or, this plastic idea would probably work great without having to oil it all the time.

/ Improving wear of wood splitter slides #25  
OK, now you've done it....I need some pics.
Sorry for the slow reply. I just drilled some holes in the front table supports to take pins, and welded flanges on the back of the splitter for the same reason, then fabbed up a quick tow hitch to pin on either end. Certainly not a highway-towable option but for towing around the woodlot slowly and repositioning, it works for me. But If I get enough time and money, it will be changed to be road legal as it's a pain to get on and off the back of the truck.

Front pin holes:
401246d1417731524-improving-wear-wood-splitter-slides-splitterfront-jpg

splitterFront.jpg

Back pin holes and hitch:
401247d1417731564-improving-wear-wood-splitter-slides-splitterback-jpg

splitterBack.jpg

/ Improving wear of wood splitter slides #26  
Some results of work this week:
402133d1418273837-improving-wear-wood-splitter-slides-firewood-jpg

firewood.jpg