in the market for a mini or a backhoe

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe #1  

herm0016

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720h
looking to spend around 15k, will be splitting with a neighbor ( yes I know, Danger Will Robinson!) but I know he takes care of his equipment and so do I. any leads? anything to watch out for? I see a lot of case 580s, some 560s. smaller is good and a mini ex would be maybe more useful but price is a lot higher.

advice?

projects include a french drain along the back of my house, cleaning out my drainage/irrigation ditch about 2000 feet long, digging a 400 foot trench for a water line, future geothermal heat pump, planting trees etc.
I could go for a 3 point mount on my Branson 4720h but have heard a lot of horror stories about 3 point mount backhoes and I don't have aux hydraulics so I would be looking at around 7 for an attachment and a couple more for tractor upgrades for a machine that is a lot less capable. plus there is no dealer near me for parts and whatnot.

I did find a Cat 302.5 2001 with 2700 hrs for 20k. any opinions on this? most things in that price range are in much rougher shape that I have found.

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe #2  
looking to spend around 15k, will be splitting with a neighbor ( yes I know, Danger Will Robinson!) but I know he takes care of his equipment and so do I. any leads? anything to watch out for? I see a lot of case 580s, some 560s. smaller is good and a mini ex would be maybe more useful but price is a lot higher.

advice?

projects include a french drain along the back of my house, cleaning out my drainage/irrigation ditch about 2000 feet long, digging a 400 foot trench for a water line, future geothermal heat pump, planting trees etc.
I could go for a 3 point mount on my Branson 4720h but have heard a lot of horror stories about 3 point mount backhoes and I don't have aux hydraulics so I would be looking at around 7 for an attachment and a couple more for tractor upgrades for a machine that is a lot less capable. plus there is no dealer near me for parts and whatnot.

I did find a Cat 302.5 2001 with 2700 hrs for 20k. any opinions on this? most things in that price range are in much rougher shape that I have found.
If I were picking, a mini-ex is quicker and easier than a backhoe until its time to transport from A to B. A Case 580/590 with an extendahoe would be my all around choice; powerful enough to dig and move stuff, enough reach for trenching and not too difficult to repair when needed.

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe #3  
I’d a lot rather have a mini excavator over a backhoe but a 2 ton mini is pretty small. That wouldn’t be my first pick either. A backhoe is typically cheaper to buy and for a good reason.

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe
that cat weighs about 6200 lbs according to specs and I could easily tow it with existing equipment, much more weight and I would have to upgrade my trailer.

used equipment out here is either totally worn out, very high price or far away. I am leaning mini as well. but with a weight limit of around 6k lbs. what do you think of a mini weighing more like 6k?

Last edited:
   / in the market for a mini or a backhoe #5  
that cat weighs about 6200 lbs according to specs and I could easily tow it with existing equipment, much more weight and I would have to upgrade my trailer.

used equipment out here is either totally worn out, very high price or far away. I am leaning mini as well. but with a weight limit of around 6k lbs. what do you think of a mini weighing more like 6k?

A 6k mini excavator is a heck of a lot better than a 6k backhoe.

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe
A 6k mini excavator is a heck of a lot better than a 6k backhoe.
No kidding. 6k mini though, what do you think about its usefulness for the tasks described. I know I really don't want anything too much smaller. I have some equipment background but not in Exs and Backhoes. large man lifts, large Hydraulic winches, cranes up to 60 ton, Oil rig equipment.

backhoe I can drive between a couple locations where it will get used no problem. Going to look at a ford 575e tomorrow morning to at least get a better idea of it sizes, capabilities, etc.

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe #7  
I’ve never been on a 6,000 pound mini, my mini is about 10k pounds but I think you’d be pretty happy with a 6k machine for digging ditches.

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe #8  
I had a JD110 TLB for close to 20 years. Great machine and a vey capable BH.

Now I have a KX040 Kubota mini. I LOVE the mini compared to the BH WAAY more maneuverable. Tracks tear up grass and gravel driveways however. Slow, gentle turns help.

Usefulness of lighter machines when digging will be soil dependent. Sandy soil is easy. Rocky and/or clay not so much.

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe #9  
Rent the excavation equipment for small jobs. Cheaper than maintaining a machine that sits 99% of the time and holding money in a declining asset.

/ in the market for a mini or a backhoe #10  
Hands down a mini - worse case sell your trailer and buy a bigger one. (it is worth it). I used the Mini 10 to 1 over the backhoe. The mini allows me to dig any kind of lines quickly, load logs easily and cut trails in the woods where a backhoe would never fit.