In the middle of 50hr service have question?

/ In the middle of 50hr service have question? #1  

surfran

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800
I have pulled the strainer and the manual says to clean in a non-flammable solvent. What are non-flammable solvents? All the solvents that I know I have are flammable. Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated especially since I do have a few filings I need to get off.

Of course I should have thought of this before starting. But this is going like a piece of cake so far I just don't want to use the wrong thing.

/ In the middle of 50hr service have question? #2  
Brake parts cleaner; like BraKleen is non-flammable - and does not leave any residue.

/ In the middle of 50hr service have question?
nitronaut,

Thanks for that suggestion, just went to look and I don't have any of that anymore either. I am sure I did at one time, but haven't done a brake job in about 10 years. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for replying.

/ In the middle of 50hr service have question? #4  
If you have a compressor, you could probably just blow the metal off the screen, since it's on the outside. Mine did not have a lot. I hit it with the solvent...then blew it off. I'm not sure it really needed the solvent at this stage as there was no buildup of anything - just some metal on the screen.

Thanks again. Now I have uncovered another problem. It appears the dealer gave me the wrong oil filter. He suppliled me with a 70000-74034 part number filter. which appears much larger around. I just checked the parts manual I have from tractor smart and it calls for a 15853-32430!!! This just figures, everything was going too smoothly. No it looks like I will have to wait an take the filter back in the morning. And of course other half will be happy as we are leaving town for a family reunion in the morning.

Nothing ever goes as easy as it should.

/ In the middle of 50hr service have question? #6  
I use mineral spirits and naptha to clean parts . after cleaning blow dry with a compressor.
And your right if it can go wrong it will! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ In the middle of 50hr service have question? #7  
That's the oil filter part number for the last one I bought for my B7500. The previous filter was part number 70000-15241. The dealer said the Kubota part numbers and filter colors change from time to time /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif................chim

Chim,

Thanks, and that doesn't suprise me that they change either. This one looks to big, so I am headed over to the dealer this morning at 8:00 when they open to get the correct one. If they tell me this is it, I will be very suprised. I think it was just a mistake. I just hate to half finish stuff.

On the other hand the 50 hour service is a piece of cake, just like normal oil change on car except pulling the screen. It takes 26mm socket, so luckily someone asked the other day about that so I checked mine and found I didn't have a socket and purchased one. Also purchased the 30mm for the mower blades while I was at it.

If all had went well, even taking my time, this should have been 1 1/2 MAX. Of course posting on hear and coming in to check replies every few minutes adds time too.

Catch ya'll later.........

/ In the middle of 50hr service have question? #9  
Surfran,

The 74034 number is the oil filter for the BX22/2200 engine. I don't know if it interchanges with the BX1800. It is the white "economy" version of the original black filter. It appeared and was larger than the original and first factory unit I replaced. But they said that was the current unit. I opted to go with the better fitting WIX filter instead.

Good luck,
Michael

/ In the middle of 50hr service have question? #10  
Oh, to heck with the lawyers, I use gasoline, if it expoldes in my face it will be my fault. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. They are protecting you from a fire/explosion hazard. The wire screen will not be damaged by gasoline and the transmission will never know whether you used naptha or gasoline to clean that screen. J