Increasing Power?

/ Increasing Power? #1  

crabjoe

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20S HST
They make all kinds of boxes and programmers for diesel trucks because it's easy to hop up the power in a diesel, so why isn't it done with tractors?

To get more power, all one really needs to do is give it more fuel and air, so I'm wondering how hard it would be to get a 10% increase in power with tractors.

Could this be done with just new injectors? Might it be as easy as just bumping up the timing a bit? Just how hard would it be??

I don't need more power, but I'm just wondering how hard it might be because some tractors are identical except for the hp rating. Say a 25hp model vs a 30hp model..

/ Increasing Power? #2  
They do exist for larger ag tractors.

TS Performance Agri-Power

Many of these tractor have high pressure common rail injection. I believe this product fools/tells the tractor control module to increase the pressure in the fuel system. More pressure, more fuel through the injectors. Not sure of the specifics.

/ Increasing Power? #3  
It's been done by the mfg's for years and years. Old tractors often were the same engine between models and just the pump setting were different resulting in 5, 10 or even 20% more hp.

For mechanical pumps, the fuel can be turned up - often easily. Depends on the pump. While many back yard types have done it over the years, a trip to the injection service may be prudent!

You do understand that the modern trucks are computer controlled where the old ones and most tractors are 100% mechanical? Just checking. The method of getting the fuel to increase changes, but the end result is the same.

I've not thought about it much as my tractor loses traction before power, so where's the gain?
jb

/ Increasing Power? #4  
I've looked into it, dealer will do it for me. Voids warranty obviously. I would be doing it not really for speed, but for power to pto to run chipper mostly. Not that hard to do for a dealer. Just call and ask.

/ Increasing Power? #5  
Best way to get more power is to use what you have. Run the rpm up to PTO speed.

One guy on the forum was revving his tractor to only 1500 rpm. My grandpa did this with his car, often shifting into high gear at 20 mph. Dad bought his car. Soon, it slung a rod, and the main bearings were shot. Not enough oil circulation at low rpm.

Ralph