Increasing UVerse Wireless to High Speed N (65mbs)

/ Increasing UVerse Wireless to High Speed N (65mbs) #1  

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
A few days ago, my UVerse router wireless service quit. TV, phone and wired connections were OK but the wireless radio died. It may have had something to do with the intermittent power blips we've had here because of a recent ice storm. Uverse 2Wire brand routers only support 'G' speed. I have also been using a wired connection to a laptop being used to monitor the outside farm video security cameras because the 'G' capacity is insufficient.

Meanwhile, I had picked up a used Netgear WNR1000 router and power supply for a buck at a garage sale a few months ago. Just for fun, I plugged the Ethernet wire from the Uverse router into the Netgear and powered it up. I pushed the button on it to turn on the wireless feature and the other computers reported a new wireless network to be present. I typed in the security key printed on the back of the Netgear and it did NOT connect. Then I Googled the Netgear operators manual for it (using my wired connection) and it showed how to reset all equipment back to factory settings (push a small button with a pin). Now when I entered the security key, the Netgear connected to the laptop wirelessly and showed a strong connection at 65mbs instead of my usual 1 --> 5 mbs speed. The previous owner probably had changed the security code.

The 3 computers in the house are now all on this new 'N' router in spite of the new, replaced UVerse router (access point) (which still only broadcasts in 'G'). The speed improvement is VERY noticeable. My HDTV has features to connect to a wireless signal to play internet videos. Now they run without any of the hiccups or delays that I formerly had. (I also had to change the internet connection address on the TV).

With all this in mind, I will be running a long buried Ethernet wire 500' out to the barn with another wireless router on it, so I have high speed wireless 'N' there. Folks have suggested a wireless repeater for this application but they run at about 1/2 speed because of the relay functions. And, this would have been 1/2 of the 'G' UVerse radio. I already know that a 500' Ethernet wire works because I've used it to focus the wired telephoto cameras out at the road.

So there you have it. The price was right and there are plenty of people disappointed with their UVerse 'G' wireless speed. A freak storm fixed it for me.

/ Increasing UVerse Wireless to High Speed N (65mbs) #2  
With all this in mind, I will be running a long buried Ethernet wire 500' out to the barn with another wireless router on it, so I have high speed wireless 'N' there. Folks have suggested a wireless repeater for this application but they run at about 1/2 speed because of the relay functions. And, this would have been 1/2 of the 'G' UVerse radio. I already know that a 500' Ethernet wire works because I've used it to focus the wired telephoto cameras out at the road.
I have a pair of Ubiquity NanoStation Loco M2 wireless access points (this one: Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2: Computers & Accessories ) going ~1000' (line of site, only 1-2 trees in the way) and we get 20-30mbps across the link. I have a friend who is running a set most of a mile and gets similar speeds.
Might be worth getting a pair from Amazon and giving them a try.

Aaron Z

/ Increasing UVerse Wireless to High Speed N (65mbs) #3  
Standard length limits for cabled connections is 100 meters. Anything over that and you could get some errors in your data stream. If you are only running a computer or two on the other end it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
A brief tutorial:
Computer and Device Networking Solutions - Fast Ethernet Tutorial

And if you didn't use an outdoor rated cable it could also be susceptible to breakage during periods of freezing/thawing of the ground especially if it a direct bury and not in conduit.