Traction Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #51  
Your post startled me because I do it the other way around, using yellow cans for diesel and red for gas. Is there a standard convention?
rScotty
The yellow cans sold at the store are generally marked diesel and the red ones are generally marked gasoline, so you are following convention.

Aaron Z

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #52  
It may be reassuring to remember that there are multifuel engines out there designed to run on both gas and diesel.
Reo multi-fuel army trucks were one example. If I remember correctly, Reo called that truck the Eager Beaver. I never owned one, so I don't know what was required to switch from one fuel to the other.
I do have a Rolls-Royce K60 diesel that is called multi-fuel. I've never run it on gasoline, but the manual says it makes the transition automatically, depending on the density of the fuel. Again, I'm not sure what is involved, but apparently it changes injection timing, possibly amount of fuel injected, maybe other things, but it does run both fuels through the same engine.

You're on the right track, but the REO trucks built in the 1950s were gasoline only. REO was defunct when the LDx-427 and 465 multifuel engines were introduced. The multifuel trucks were built in the old Studebaker plant under Kaiser Jeep and American General brands. But it was in fact the REO designed chassis the multifuel engines were going into.

MAN designed the multifuel combustion process and licensed it to the companies building the multifuel engines under US contract: Continental, Hercules, and White.

The important thing to keep in mind, the engines were designed to run on leaded gasoline, which had more lubricity than unleaded. Gasoline will shorten the life of the injection pump. Other than that, there is nothing else involved. You can mix fuels in any ratio, and timing does not change. You only get less horsepower from burning gasoline. The LDx-465 model had a fuel density compensator which would try to remedy the horsepower loss, but this was later disabled on the D model, I think to meet 1980s emission requirements.

This Popular Mechanics article explains the multifuel combustion process better than I can: link

I was not aware of the Rolls-Royce K60 multifuel, I will have to do more research on that. I own four LDx-465s, three in trucks, and one spare.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine
Actually, none of the fuel cans I purchased where premarked with types of fuel. I will still continue to use gas in my yellow and Diesel on my red cans, because that is the way I have them permanently marked now. My concern has never been what "color" my fuel cans are, but rather I could expect any long term problems with the diesel. I am now 40hrs past the wrong fuel incident and no issues what so ever. I just went through a automatic regen with perfection. With 350hrs now on the Kioti, not a single issue has occured with this tractor.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #54  
From what I can recall and from what I have recently read the standard colors for fuel cans (plastic) are;
red for gasoline,
yellow for diesel,
blue for kerosene.
But so far is is up to the owner as to what they put in there containers.
Heck we use used oil and transmission fluid 5 gallon pails for fuel quite often.

If anyone cares what CARB and EPA think here you go;
New Regulations for Portable Fuel Containers

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #55  
You're on the right track, but the REO trucks built in the 1950s were gasoline only. REO was defunct when the LDx-427 and 465 multifuel engines were introduced. The multifuel trucks were built in the old Studebaker plant under Kaiser Jeep and American General brands. But it was in fact the REO designed chassis the multifuel engines were going into.

MAN designed the multifuel combustion process and licensed it to the companies building the multifuel engines under US contract: Continental, Hercules, and White.

The important thing to keep in mind, the engines were designed to run on leaded gasoline, which had more lubricity than unleaded. Gasoline will shorten the life of the injection pump. Other than that, there is nothing else involved. You can mix fuels in any ratio, and timing does not change. You only get less horsepower from burning gasoline. The LDx-465 model had a fuel density compensator which would try to remedy the horsepower loss, but this was later disabled on the D model, I think to meet 1980s emission requirements.

This Popular Mechanics article explains the multifuel combustion process better than I can: link

I was not aware of the Rolls-Royce K60 multifuel, I will have to do more research on that. I own four LDx-465s, three in trucks, and one spare.

Thanks for posting that info...... good example of why I still hang around TBN.

I stick with the Red = Gas, Y = Dzl. I have one neighbour I'd trust to fuel my generators and tractor, and I know that is what he'd expect.

I have one friend who does intentionally reverse those 2 colours, not labelled, but that's because people used to "borrow" fuel from him.

I've found that a lot of people don't read labels and are more programmed by colour. I think it was on here one of the guys posted about his wife drinking out of Gatorade bottle that was in his garage, clearly labelled "Poison, Do Not Drink !" Bottle had yellow Prestone in it.

There's been a number of examples on TBN lately of people mis-fuelling, often from clearly designated containers......... Whatever works for You, go for it.....

Rgds, D.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #56  
^^^^
The landscaping company I worked for years ago was always reusing oil containers for various purposes. They sent the two youngest crew members out of town for a few days in a truck with a newly rebuilt 305 engine. Somewhere along the line they needed oil so dumped some in from a gallon jug they found in the back... not noticing the hand written markings in small letters which said "Roundup".
IIRC, it took every gasket out of the engine.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #57  
Roundup as gasket remover......

^ why I still hang around TBN..... I often learn something everyday !

Rgds, D.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #58  
Yellow for diesel , red for gasoline and blue for kerosene.
10% gasoline should not make a lick of difference . Yanmar and VW at one time recommend up to 30% gasoline in the diesel at -40F to improve volatility and reduce filter waxing.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #59  
Actually, none of the fuel cans I purchased where premarked with types of fuel. I will still continue to use gas in my yellow and Diesel on my red cans, because that is the way I have them permanently marked now. My concern has never been what "color" my fuel cans are, but rather I could expect any long term problems with the diesel. I am now 40hrs past the wrong fuel incident and no issues what so ever. I just went through a automatic regen with perfection. With 350hrs now on the Kioti, not a single issue has occured with this tractor.

Follow what LouNY said and change the content of the cans, this is an international standard and even if not marked most people will know that Yellow is diesel Red is Gas and Blue Kerosene.