Indoor dryer vent

/ Indoor dryer vent #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
Anyone here use or make an indoor dryer vent. My washer and dryer are in a closet in the master bathroom and the vent runs down and out from under the house about 18 feet. When it's attach馘 I noticed clothes the longer to dry and my elements run about 4 years. And it's hard to hook up.
It makes sense trying to push heat down and out that far so I've disconnected it my power bill when down an drying time cut way down. I saw a tiny water filled lint catcher at lowes but there's no good way to mount it and the hose is awkward with it. I want to make a box with a lint trap that's easy to access on the side of the closet to make things easier, has anyone done this.

/ Indoor dryer vent #2  
The hose you currently have running under the house might be blocked, full of lint. If I were you, I would replace this hose and make sure your dryers internal lint screen is fully seated into it's slot in the dryer. It is real easy for them to work out of position, then eventually be held out of place by lint buildup in it's slot. I would go that route, the outside vent route. Dryers put out a lot of moisture and heat, not something you usually want in your house. Once you get the current vent working properly, your heating element should last longer.

/ Indoor dryer vent #3  
Does your dryer vent use hard 4" metal pipe, not stretchy plastic or aluminum foil pipe? Hard metal will flow a bit more air than the corregated pipe and is easier to keep clean. The pipe and vents are supposed to be cleaned regularly. At my house which only has 2 people, my vent was pretty clogged. They do make a dryer vent cleaning brush. If you can get the brush in from the outside you start up the dryer on fluff mode which is just air and brush away starting from as far away as possible.

The dryer should be serviced once in a while. I have found all kinds of lint and things in the dryers I have taken apart. Allen wrenches, screws, nails, coins and lint. I usually take it outside to clean and use the air compressor to blow out. My dryer is due for a cleanup now. The question is how long it will take for me to clean it and the vent pipe.

/ Indoor dryer vent #4  
Anyone here use or make an indoor dryer vent. My washer and dryer are in a closet in the master bathroom and the vent runs down and out from under the house about 18 feet. When it's attach馘 I noticed clothes the longer to dry and my elements run about 4 years. And it's hard to hook up.
It makes sense trying to push heat down and out that far so I've disconnected it my power bill when down an drying time cut way down. I saw a tiny water filled lint catcher at lowes but there's no good way to mount it and the hose is awkward with it. I want to make a box with a lint trap that's easy to access on the side of the closet to make things easier, has anyone done this.

Keep in mind - the dryer also expels a significant amount of moisture. All of the water in the clothes has to go somewhere, hence the dryer vent. Expelling the air inside the house
means you are dumping a lot of moisture, which can lead to mold growth and long term damage to the house. The lint catcher you saw at lowes is good for lint, but does nothing to handle the moisture.

/ Indoor dryer vent #5  
Keep in mind - the dryer also expels a significant amount of moisture. All of the water in the clothes has to go somewhere, hence the dryer vent. Expelling the air inside the house
means you are dumping a lot of moisture, which can lead to mold growth and long term damage to the house. The lint catcher you saw at lowes is good for lint, but does nothing to handle the moisture.

Exactly right - I thought I'd try one of those lint catchers a few years ago to capture the heat instead of shoving it outside. Only used it one time, every surface in the laundry room was covered with mist, clothing that had been hung on the rod were damp.
That much moisture would also be detrimental if it was just pumped into the foundation, so it all needs to be vented outside, even if you have to install a dryer duct fan booster to handle the additional length of the ductwork.

/ Indoor dryer vent #6  
I have never heard of an installation like this. You must really be pressed for space. But is there any chance of moving it? Besides the venting, this just sounds like screwed up in general. I am guessing you did this.

Can you reroute the vent? Your bedroom is 18' feet from a exterior wall?

Sounds like a fire hazard, with the built up lint.

/ Indoor dryer vent #7  
Easy to tell other people what to do from my recliner, but scrap everything and do this right.

Obviously if you ever sell the house you will have to do something.

/ Indoor dryer vent #8  
Neighbor and I both had issues with our dryer vents. His comes out his slab, and had a 90 up then 90 out with a louvered cover. He had to drill a small hole in the bottom 90 since water was building up in the pipe.

When i bought my house, the dryer vent had a screen on the end, and came out at ground level. Screen would get wet, then clog. Replaced the screen with a louvered cover. And had to dig a small tech to get the water to drain away from it. After that, no issues.

/ Indoor dryer vent #9  
The new vent restrictions have a 15' max from dryer to exit. Every 90 degree turn = 5'. Anything beyond that requires an auto blower that comes on when ever the dryer runs.

/ Indoor dryer vent #10  
Indoor venting as well as those "stretchy plastic" pipes are not legal in my area. I had a box that allowed me to switch between indoor or outdoor venting which I had to remove when the dryer was serviced.