Industrial tire vs Turf tire

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #21  
OP, I'll add another thought to my earlier comments, and to what others have said. I think it also matters what make and size of compact tractor you settle on, as that will affect the size of tire (especially the rears) and the design pattern. I was very surprised at how large and aggressive the lugs are on the big Titan R-3s that the dealer put on our Kioti NX4510HST. Some other turfs aren't quite as aggressive, and smaller tires of course will tend to have smaller lugs. Once you decide on a particular model of tractor, perhaps you'll have a chance to see one with R-4s and one with R-3s before you have to make up your mind. You know, to "kick the tires." :)

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #22  
Kick the tires on R4s and you'll stub your toe! :laughing:

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #23  
I have R1s, R4s and Turfs on different tractors and each has its advantage. Turfs are super on my mowing tractor, barely can see where I have driven. R1s are great when I need traction and during the dry season when the ground will tolerate them or when snow is on the ground. R4s are my favorite due to the durability and enough traction to dig a hole. Just keep them in the barn during snow season. Turfs are very nice and easy on the pastures.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #24  
I have R4s and on any icy surface they are most dangerous and need chains.

My other machine with turfs has much more grip on ice.

My 2 cents, Fred

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #25  
Someone mentioned using chains on R4's that some of the crosslinks fall between the lugs. This is all true for regular crosslink ladder chains. The solution is to not buy those kind of chains for R4's. Buy the type of chains with two rows of chain on the running on the top of the treads that keep the cross links up on top of the treads so they don't fall in the "holes". V-bars or even the more aggressive nordic type chains will provide excellent traction on R4's on packed ice and snow. As pointed out by many here, no one tires does everything well, they are all a compromise. For my money R4's are the best for me because I do mostly loader work, and in the winter a good set of chains, make up for their greatest weakness dealing with packed ice and snow.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #26  
I mow with my R1 on, I have a soft lawn and get the occasional ruts In the really soft spots, but the only grass damage is from my reckless driving, clutch release too fast... brake too hard and lock up the wheels, other than that no issues.. but as mentioned in previous post not a great fit for super nice golf green finish.

Snow and dirt traction is awesome, Ice is no go w/out chains

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #27  
I mow with my R1 on, I have a soft lawn and get the occasional ruts In the really soft spots, but the only grass damage is from my reckless driving, clutch release too fast... brake too hard and lock up the wheels, other than that no issues.. but as mentioned in previous post not a great fit for super nice golf green finish.

Snow and dirt traction is awesome, Ice is no go w/out chains

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #28  
I think it is kind of funny that people think R-4s slide sideways any worse than R-3s or R-1s. I have all 3 and have slid sideways with all 3. I have slid sideways with steel tracks. The only way to stop sideways sliding is with tire chains.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #29  
Someone mentioned using chains on R4's that some of the crosslinks fall between the lugs. This is all true for regular crosslink ladder chains. The solution is to not buy those kind of chains for R4's. Buy the type of chains with two rows of chain on the running on the top of the treads that keep the cross links up on top of the treads so they don't fall in the "holes". V-bars or even the more aggressive nordic type chains will provide excellent traction on R4's on packed ice and snow. As pointed out by many here, no one tires does everything well, they are all a compromise. For my money R4's are the best for me because I do mostly loader work, and in the winter a good set of chains, make up for their greatest weakness dealing with packed ice and snow.

Actually James one can use ladders on R4's, you just shouldn't make them tight. I'd recommend no tensioners and ladder chains will be very effective especially if they're two link. I'm wondering what the op did two years ago?

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #30  
I have run chains on R1 tires too. True, don't run them too tight so they can't move some.