Info on 1430

/ Info on 1430 #41  
I use a small, hand held leaf blower to blow the leaves into windrows, then use the large bucket or snowplow set about 1/2 inch off the ground in float to push down the windrow out into the woods. There's pictures of it out there somewhere.

I have thought about getting a larger leaf blower with a bad engine and adapting it to hydraulic drive and then I'd have a ride on leaf blower... COOL! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But I don't have enough leaves to justify it and my hide isn't thick enough to take the consequences of spending that kind of money right now.... if you know what I mean /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Info on 1430 #42  
I have huge amounts of leaves in the fall. At one point I had a 6 inches thick blanket of leaves in the front. I used the mower deck on low setting and drove slow in two directions. They were mulched so small I never did have to rake them up. I do collect some like MossRoad suggeted as I use them in the mulch pile. I also use a heavy duty blower which grinds the leaves up for the mulch pile as well as picks them up. This system is far to slow (back bracking) for the half acre of leaves that need taking care of. I have the finish mower and it does just as good a job as a mulch deck on a rotary mower.
PJ

/ Info on 1430
Has anyone here had experience with the power-sweeper? Would that move leaves or ruin the lawn. What about those pull-behind sweepers like the ones Sears sells. Wish I could find one 60" wide.

/ Info on 1430 #44  
I also mulch leaves with mower(s). Although it may not look quite as nice as vacuum-clean lawn, I understand it is much better for the lawn to chop up the leaves, grass clippings, etc. and leave them.

/ Info on 1430
The PT mowers are rear-discharge right? I was looking at them Trac-Vacs and was wondering how hard it could be to modify one of these for a PT.

/ Info on 1430 #46  
Do some searches on vac, vacuum, etc. There were some pictures a while back of an installation on a PT.

/ Info on 1430 #47  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( O.K, here's a question for you guys.
What do you do about leaves?
I know there isn't a bagger or anything. Do you shred them with the mower? My yard gets a lot of leaves from the neighboring yards. )</font>

I shred them with the mower or not. Use a regular yard sweeper and dump them where it fills. Then I get the PT and the big red can, pick all the piles up and hall them to the woods.

Attachments

• 591513-red can.JPG
    591513-red can.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 99
   / Info on 1430
Stray, I forgot about your giant bucket. Nice job, by the way.

/ Info on 1430
How often do you change the hydraulic oil? The 1430 has something like a 12 gallon tank. I've also heard that Power-Trac says to use 10w30 oil instead of hydraulic oil. Wouldn't real hydraulic oil be better?

/ Info on 1430 #50  
There have been a fair number of posts on this topic. Some are generated by variations in the recommendations between and among various publications and advisors at PT.
PT insists strongly that the hydraulic filter be of proper type and be changed at the 50 hour intervals. There is no recommendation to change the oil unless it requires it due to deterioration (discoloration). Although the systems do get hot, it is unusual for one to get hot enough to damage the oil, and the hydraulic system doesn't have the problems of fuel and combustion product contamination that require engine oil changes.
PT specifies motor oil because it is available nearly anywhere, is inexpensive, and most importantly, it works well in their machines. They don't specify hydraulic fluid because there are a number of different kinds, it is more expensive, harder to find, and the anti-foaming agents, etc. in hydraulic fluids haven't proven necessary in PT applications.
That being said, I asked Terry to review with the engineers the specifications of Amsoil synthetic tractor hydraulic fluid. He did so, and reported back that it would work great in my PT 1845, and even suggested that I drain the system, put in 5 gallons, run it through all the pumps, and attach each implement and run it to purge as much of the oil as possible, and then drain and fill with clean Amsoil. I think Terry already figured out that I'm really too lazy to go through all that, and that since the synthetic is expensive and the 1845 is performing great at 350 hours, I'll wait until its "necessary."
After his fire, Sedgewood put in a tractor hydraulic fluid (Kubota?). Is it working out well, John?
As I understand it, there is some small concern about seals and compatibility with some fluids, but the bottom line is that the hydraulic fluid doesn't deliver much advantage in a PT system.