Info on Cockshutt Grain Drill

/ Info on Cockshutt Grain Drill #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
I am looking for a small Drill for wildlife planting and found a Cockshutt 76 Grain Drill, Ser #84978BX. I can't find much info except it was a Canadian company that made tractors and equipment that became Oliver, then White, etc. The unit looks OK in pictures but ebay has the parts and owner manuals listed as Vintage Equipment.

Wondering if any TBNers can enlighten me on old Cockshutt Equipment, is it worth having for a few acres per year in prepared soil or is it just some oldiron that looks good on paper. I can't find but the one and it is close to where I live. I did find one SOLD for $600. The dealer is asking $1950, but I would only offer close to the sold one if I was interested after looking at it.

I would appreciate any information ! :2cents:

Thanks TBNers

/ Info on Cockshutt Grain Drill #2  
Cockshutt made there own implements starting around 1874. There factory was someware down by Bramfard Ontario. They made very robust equiptment. The dealers price seems a bit high. You could probably get a much newer drill for that money. $500 to $1200 is about all I would pay for one.

/ Info on Cockshutt Grain Drill #3  
YOu guys who plant the small food plots have really run the price of these old grain drills way up in the past 5-10 years. Many old 10-ft wide drills have been purchased by enterprising individuals for a few hundred bucks, cut in half to make two 5-footers each of which are then sold for $1500+.

Myself, I bought two old Minneapolis P3-6 drills from a neighbor a few years ago (10-ft wide, 20 drops, fertilizer and grass boxes) for $275 and used the parts to make one good drill for planting oats on my 6-acre hayfield. Total cost was about $500.

DSCF0162 (Small).JPGDSCF0094 (Small).JPGDSCF0285 (Small).JPGDSCF0091 (Small).JPGDSCF0159 (Small).JPGDSCF0155 (Small).JPGDSCF0156 (Small).JPG

$1900 for that Cockshutt is way out of my price range.
Good luck

/ Info on Cockshutt Grain Drill
The old grain drills are hard to find as well as cultipackers. The Cockshutt is about 50 miles from home and if it is worth having, I would be interested for about $5-600. no more! There are JD drills available for $2k+ around everywhere.
I was hoping some one had experience with Cockshutt drills and could advise me what to look for, parts availabilty, etc.

Seeking info!!!!!!

:anyone:

/ Info on Cockshutt Grain Drill #5  
There are JD drills available for $2k+ around everywhere.

But all you pay for is the green paint. They are most likey Van Burnt drills.

/ Info on Cockshutt Grain Drill
But all you pay for is the green paint. They are most likey Van Burnt drills.
Good to know! Just looking for a small grain drill to plant a few acres every year, I could use my 3PT Cone spreader and buy a cultipacker if I can't find a drill.