Info on timing of doing different plowing in garden

/ Info on timing of doing different plowing in garden #1  

jsanders420

Tractor
MF 1533
Hey guys,

I just wanted some input and opinions regarding using different plows while gardening. I have a MF 1533 tractor, turning plow, disc, chisel plow, subsoiler... I think that's it. I'm bad about buying gadgets. AND I don't even have a tiller...yet. I've had this equipment for about 6 years and have used all of it gardening but this year I'm going to be doind a lot more gardening.

Any kind of info on the best way to use it, timing, what order, how the soil should be after use...all that stuff, will be appreciated.

Thanks

/ Info on timing of doing different plowing in garden #2  
Hey guys,

I just wanted some input and opinions regarding using different plows while gardening. I have a MF 1533 tractor, turning plow, disc, chisel plow, subsoiler... I think that's it. I'm bad about buying gadgets. AND I don't even have a tiller...yet. I've had this equipment for about 6 years and have used all of it gardening but this year I'm going to be doind a lot more gardening.

Any kind of info on the best way to use it, timing, what order, how the soil should be after use...all that stuff, will be appreciated.

Thanks

IMO the chisel and subsoiler shouldn't be used in the spring.

Use the plow first and then the disk when it is dry enough but not to dry. You wiil have to figured that part out, not sure how to explain it on the web.

/ Info on timing of doing different plowing in garden #3  
Yup, agree with Duffster. Plow in fall is best, but since it's spring now, go ahead and plow. If it's too wet, you'll make a big mess, so don't rush. Wait until you've had a period of 6 days without rain, or so. Cool weather means the ground holds moisture more than in summer.

Disking is the same. If you have mud caking to your tractor tires? You should not be on the soil. It's too wet. Take a scoop of soil into your hands. Is it packable, like a snow ball? If so, be careful. If you have any clay in your soil, you can create clods that are nasty. You'll also risk compaction.

Time it just right and the soil will fall nicely into crumbles. If you want to drag that soil out, pick up a spring tooth or spike tooth drag to level it out, if it needs it. Enjoy!!