Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC

/ Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
1. This topic has been discussed more than a few times. The biggest remaining mystery to me is the clippings. Obviously they are discharged out the back on an RD deck.
If the lawn is cut weekly, or when it gets tall (5-7”) and should be cut, will the clippings turn brown show like a thin blanket on the lawn? Or do they disperse and settle between the vertical blades of grass adequately for the discerning customer? I realize there’s variables here, but generally speaking, after the lawn is cut, does it look like the entire lawn area is blanketed in clippings?
With a side discharge, you can keep blowing clippings over and over to one side or another, or you can create an “every other” stripe of clippings, no clippings, etc. but then there’s usually the capability to blow them away from beds.
With rear discharge, do the clippings fan outwards so when going along the edge of a bed, they still get into the bed?
I am looking at a used F3680 on Monday. Has no deck. Dealer can install deck. I have my choice-rear or side discharge. I am heavily leaning towards side discharge.

2. OCDC (no not that kind of OCDC) talking about the operator controlled discharge chute). Does anyone have one? How well does it work? Not cheap, but could make work neater & cleaner. Will it work on an ”F” with a steering wheel? I picture the squeeze handle mounted on the zero turn lever. I do see some foot pedal units.

Last edited:
   / Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC #2  
Here's a recent first mowing 3 days ago with a newly purchased King Kutter 3ph RD mower in my back field. So far I'm liking it better than the side discharge ZTR with removed exit deflector that I was using (and beating up :)) Cut is about 4" with the grass being as tall as you see to the right around the tree/junk. The brown spots are weeds/crap, not clippings.

MUVVfbK.jpg

Though there are a couple of places the clippings stayed on top, mostly along the edge, for the most part it looks pretty good.

W1QzuBi.jpg

lJO3Sie.jpg

/ Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC #3  
I have both. With a side discharge, you can easily add a "material collection system" to pick up leaves, weed seeds, sticks, nuts and dog toys. I use a trailer mounted lawn-vac with an 8" chute on a 72" deck. Not gunna happen with a rear discharge.

/ Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC
I have both. With a side discharge, you can easily add a "material collection system" to pick up leaves, weed seeds, sticks, nuts and dog toys. I use a trailer mounted lawn-vac with an 8" chute on a 72" deck. Not gunna happen with a rear discharge.
Thats a good point. I dont think a material collection system is in my future, so i will have to decide between the side & rear discharge

/ Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC #5  
I prefer rear discharge. This one is a six footer:

P3290008.JPG

Mowed this yesterday:

P5150005.JPG

P5150007.JPG

P5150008.JPG

/ Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC #6  
And the TORO six foot recycler with gator blades:

P5300003.JPG

P5290001.JPG

P5290015.JPG

/ Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC #7  
I've been mulching forever and have really never had an issue with lots of dead grass being either a problem nor an eye sore. Just a new Ryobi ZT 48v and put the discharge closure on it and removed the side deflector. Same for the new Ryobi 40v walkbehind: put the plug in the rear discharge.

Never seen need to collect grass. Did it one go round many many years ago in NJ and said to self: "why are you doing this?".

Also same for leaf pickup. Not needed with mulching mower. Even a side discharge will smash the leaves if you discharge to middle and keep going over them. Mulching mower is best for leaves. They DO NOT affect pH of the soil. Do go acid initially but go neutral after further decomposition: research has shown this.

Best mulchers are those with dual blades like the Honda HRR216VLA I'm selling and the new "crosscut" Ryobi 40v.

Last edited:
   / Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC #8  
I've been mulching forever and have really an issue with lots of dead grass being either a problem nor an eye sore. -----------------------------------
Do have or don't have?

/ Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC
   / Information on rear discharge versus side discharge & OCDC #10  
Side vs rear discharge.. Have to kinda scan through them though and not really a 'review' per say, but still info:

And you could see if there's an equipment dealer around that will loan you a couple of demos and find which you like that way.