Information on used L5740 via serial number

/ Information on used L5740 via serial number #1  

Yamezz

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3720 cab, JD X495, JD L100, JD D105
We are looking at a used L5740. Is there somewhere we can find out any information on the tractor via the serial number? I've Googled, but come up empty.
Serial number is L5740D71855. Supposedly a 2003 model.

/ Information on used L5740 via serial number #2  
I think the 40 series is newer than that.

/ Information on used L5740 via serial number
Hmm, ad definitely says 2003. I'll check the year with the seller. There's a backhoe that comes with it (not currently attached), but the pictures show rust on every single hydraulic ram. Is repair going to be an expensive process?

/ Information on used L5740 via serial number #5  
And this ad on craigslist says it‘s a Kubota.

Attachments

• 9046F94B-6F5E-435E-BD85-0679B293615C.jpeg
    9046F94B-6F5E-435E-BD85-0679B293615C.jpeg
    721.8 KB · Views: 46
   / Information on used L5740 via serial number #6  
call any kubota dealer, they should at the minimum be able to tell you when it was sold/registered. any warranty repairs should show up as well. rust on the cylinders can get expensive quickly. I would probably pass unless it is really cheap.

/ Information on used L5740 via serial number #7  
just realized you are in Australia, not sure when exactly the 40 series became available in Australia.

/ Information on used L5740 via serial number #8  
And this ad on craigslist says it‘s a Kubota.
Well, there is some orange on the fenders where the green was scratched off. :unsure:

/ Information on used L5740 via serial number #9  
call any kubota dealer, they should at the minimum be able to tell you when it was sold/registered. any warranty repairs should show up as well. rust on the cylinders can get expensive quickly. I would probably pass unless it is really cheap.
This process, while time intensive, can help to see there is much pitting under the rust. The trouble may be if you clean one cylinder up to see, the seller may increase the price or not sell it.

/ Information on used L5740 via serial number
Thanks for all the replies. We missed out on the tractor, but we're almost convinced it was actually a scam. Lots of details didn't add up - the year of manufacture being one of them.