Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #21  
Richard,
I did say all else being equal, a heavier tractor will pull more. While I suspect my b2710 will at times out pull your 4600 on my property, because you'll get stuck when you go into the wet stuff. (My neighbor with big ag tires got stuck back there when I drove through with minimal caution, because I didn't push down through the vegitation. He out weighs me by a few thousand pounds and was plowing for us.) The article I referred to was done by some midwest university. I used it only to make a point. Other than during mud season, a 4600 will drag my little botta all over the place, regardless of the tires. Of course a baby cat track will probably drag you all over the place even if it gives up a half ton weight advantage. Like you said, it matters little to me. I'm not a farmer. Still, very few farmers around here use anything as little as a 4000 series deere or an L Kubota to pull a plow or hay with.

As to DI and IDI. Arbitrarily, if operating speeds are over say 1500 rpm's, and the displacement is less than say 3 liters, I'd bet DI doesn't have any advantage except simplicity. That's based on what I get from the article John used to explain diesel fuel etc, what my neighbor the diesel mechanic thinks, and the size of those little idi german automobile diesels which cruise at 2k rpms and displace just a couple of liters. Bigger or slower than that, everone seems to be for DI. The extra chamber energy loss and extra parts needed are a disadvantage and there won't be any improvement in fuel vaporization and air mixing.

Todd