Injector Pump Failure?

/ Injector Pump Failure? #1  

dkarten

I have a 1960 Massey Ferguson 65, I have owned it for 16 years & have experience with bleeding the injector lines, I went to start it a few days ago & have been unable to, I have fuel coming from the 2 bleeder screws on the injector pump, strong stream of fuel with no apparent air, but cannot get fuel at the injectors, I have had intermittent smoke out the exhaust on cranking, but now have none, I suspect the IP has failed & have found a rebuilt unit for $660, before I R&R I would like to ascertain it is the IP, any advice?

/ Injector Pump Failure? #2  
Do you have a diesel specialty shop in your area? If you do have them check the pump and the injectors.
You may have ran something that plugged/fouled all of them.

I would start and run it on WD40 spray into the intake manifold.
This will give you enough engine/pump speed to get a better idea as to how the fuel system is working. KennyV

/ Injector Pump Failure? #3  
If the $700 almost, doesn't bother you then go for it. I had an early 4cylinder Ford 4000 that I wanted to get the pump looked and repair what was needed, the estimate was $800. The tractor still ran and I just couldn't afford that amount, so I sold the tractor and told the fellow that the pump may need service, I took kind of beating on price, but that's life I suppose. I'm hoping you'll find a diesel mechanic that could come over and take a look see. In my case I'm probaby better off not having something else around to dump money into, I remenise too much. bjr

/ Injector Pump Failure? #4  
I have a 1960 Massey Ferguson 65, I have owned it for 16 years & have experience with bleeding the injector lines, I went to start it a few days ago & have been unable to, I have fuel coming from the 2 bleeder screws on the injector pump, strong stream of fuel with no apparent air, but cannot get fuel at the injectors, I have had intermittent smoke out the exhaust on cranking, but now have none, I suspect the IP has failed & have found a rebuilt unit for $660, before I R&R I would like to ascertain it is the IP, any advice?

most likely the rack is stuck in the shut down position. I think that is a Cav pump if so you could remove the top cover and check the slider that the shutoff lever hooks to. you could allso try just moving the lever back and forth from stop to stop that might free it up.
if the tractor was running good before I don't think your pump is bad. try adding some fuel lubicating additive. the fuel today is terrible for injection pumps.
by the way $660 is a realy good price for that pump !
Good luck Ed

Farm and Heavy Equipment Parts - ABC Repair Parts

/ Injector Pump Failure?
the shut off rod seems to move freely, before I suspected IP failure I cranked & had smoke along with slight pop, almost starting, but never actually running, I don't think it would smoke if shut off rod was the problem, I tried bleeding at injectors, no fuel, both bleed screws on IP spurt fuel when opened, I now have no smoke when cranking & have disconnected injector lines & have no pressure, no fuel, nothing, when cranking, last time I used it it started & ran fine, it has sat for a few weeks at most.

/ Injector Pump Failure? #6  
Have you gotten it running yet and if so what did you do. I ran my 253 massey out of diesel and have bled the diesel all the way to and out of the two screws on the pump but it will not push any up to the injectors. it was running like a champ when it ran out.