Injector troubles?

/ Injector troubles? #1  

6shotz

Tractor
Branson 2810
I've got a little Branson 2810 (3 cylinder, 28hp) I purchased new about 20+ years ago, never had any engine issues...until today. She wouldn't fire when turning over (It ran fine yesterday). Has about 800 hrs on it. Shut-off valve is functional, I finally coaxed it into starting with help from a little starting fluid.😜
She ran petty weak, a little black smoke (not bad). Lift pump seemed to be putting out fuel ok, but I put in a new one anyway and a new (factory) fuel filter. Still not really much improvement, although it will start now. I cracked the injector lines at the injectors one at a time. Either number one injector or number two injector make a huge difference (slow it way down) when I crack the line but number three makes no difference, they all (seem) to bleed out the same amout of fuel. So it looks like number three injector bad?
I've not worked on one of these engines before, so looking for some wisdom from some of you diesel gurus. 🙂
After getting the correct socket, I am thinking I'll swap injector locations and see if the problem follows the injector?
Any ideas would surely be appreciated. 🙂

Last edited:
   / Injector troubles? #2  
It sounds like you've figured out your problem and seek only to confirm your answer. Be sure you've got a clean air filter. A dirty one can cause some black smoke. I had a Mitsubishi tractor and it turned out the local big rig type diesel repair shop could rebuild my injectors.

/ Injector troubles?
Is it possible to disassemble and clean these type of injectors without specialized equipment?...and not mess them up?

/ Injector troubles? #4  
You can try and take them apart but it’s a specialized thing. I‘m not convinced it’s your injector but it’s a strong possibility. There is a pretty good chance it’s an indirect injection engine which should make injectors cheaper. A good diesel place may be able to check its spray pattern for you.

Just to be sure you only have one fuel filter? Some have two, the first one being a smaller one.

/ Injector troubles? #5  
If u plan on taking the injectors apart.. DO NOT wire wheel any part of the nozzle (tip)..
If your going to use anything, a brass brush and ScotchBrite pad is enough..
Seeing you are inexperienced at the process, SWAP THEM FIRST..
If indeed the problem follows the injector, your best bet will be to order new nozzles..
Replace them as A SET.,
The #’s are on the nozzle..& you’ll have to take 1 apart to get to it..
If u find it’s a pump problem, let me know..
Good luck

/ Injector troubles?
I found the culprit! It ended up being rotten o-rings on the discharge ports of the injection pump.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
I am thanking the Lord it was not a serious, expensive issue. 🙂

Attachments

• 115D8553-1B5F-4AA6-A9AE-4D22C1FB39BF.jpeg
    115D8553-1B5F-4AA6-A9AE-4D22C1FB39BF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 21512161-6711-4B83-A45D-B32766EBE2C7.jpeg
    21512161-6711-4B83-A45D-B32766EBE2C7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
   / Injector troubles? #7  
l. So it looks like number three injector bad
No..that means the issue is on #3 cylinder. Could be stuck valve or poor compression too. Typicaly black smoke means your getting fuel.

/ Injector troubles?
No..that means the issue is on #3 cylinder. Could be stuck valve or poor compression too. Typicaly black smoke means your getting fuel.
It appears that the bad o-ring on the no. 3 plunger (of the injection pump) was preventing the fuel "pulse" from achieving proper pressure? Perhaps it was allowing a bit of air to become entrained in the line? I have no previous injection pump/injector experience, so I can't say for sure. I can say that upon replacing the o-rings, she runs like a champ now! Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.