Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers?

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers? #11  
The inline hesston IH marketed balers were the first that allowed the bale to get out of the chamber that it would not burn the strings trying to pull it out with the kicker. So they built a very square bale and would compete with the pan kicker for not beating up the bale while moving to the wagon. The knotters used are the deering style which are currently the most common.

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers? #12  
im going to go out on a limb here an say that baler wasnt adjusted right.the best reason to run an inline baler is no sore neck from looking back as the hay goes in the baler.

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers? #13  
You can run an inline on a shorter tractor, we just hung a mudflap under the hitch to keep the hay from bunching there. Just as we did with the first round baler. If you make good fluffy windrows, yes, it is nice to have a good tall machine. I currently run on 18.4x30 tires with no issues, so they're not all that tall at all. They have very low hp requirements so it makes it nice.

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers? #14  
Some friends of mine have a hay business to supply their feed store. They do thousands of bales per year. They use a Hesston in-line and a Bale Bandit. Then, they use a skid-steer to load them in a semi trailer. They claim it's the only way to go.
However, they have about $80K tied up in the baler and bandit. :eek: I couldn't justify that kind of expense. Probably wouldn't live long enough to pay for it either. ;)

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers?
The bale bandits and bale barons look impressive, but not in the plans at the moment.
If I was to build a barn from scratch, I would certainly consider designing it around an automatic bale wagon/stacker, but in the past we would always have to hand stack the hay in the loft, and a bale wagon never seemed too practical.

I talked to someone about grass seed straw. If I wanted to get into that business, I would certainly consider some type of bale accumulator/loader, and probably end up with really heavy either wire bales or 3 tie bales.

Anyway, so my worries about the inline baler are unjustified based on a single bad experience with an inexperienced operator.

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers? #16  
Bale bandits/ barons are nice setups. Just expensive. I like them more than the stacker wagons, probably because it will justify another bigger loader tractor or articulated loader.

My new barn will be setup to handle them too, someday I'll get some sort of way to handle small squares better than kicker wagons. But need to have the barn to slide them into easily first to make the move justified.

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers? #17  
hey mfred, my fil and I use a kuhns accumulator just the 10 bale version but it feels like you getting away with bloody murder when handling those small square bales. We started baling at 1 and finished up around 430 and I went over after work to help pick them up (in my a/c tractor lol) and we had 900 bales picked up hauled to the barn, and unstacked before 9pm. I have thrown alot of hay so I smile ear to ear everytime we baled hay last summer!

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers? #18  
When NH (Fiat Agri) bought CaseIH spelled the end for CaseIH inlines as CaseIH and AGCO had split ownership of Hesston who in the 70's was owned by Fiat Agri. Confusing:confused2: The anti trust judges forced Fiat to sell off different plants around the world and one was CaseIH stake in Hesston. CaseIH balers are now rebadged NH balers since it is CNH, now a division of Fiat. I have been thru the Hesston Kansas Plant and I wouldn't be afraid of anything built there. The inline baler no matter what brand name it carries is a very good design and well built. I do own NH and they have done me well.

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers? #19  
When NH (Fiat Agri) bought CaseIH spelled the end for CaseIH inlines as CaseIH and AGCO had split ownership of Hesston who in the 70's was owned by Fiat Agri. Confusing:confused2: The anti trust judges forced Fiat to sell off different plants around the world and one was CaseIH stake in Hesston. CaseIH balers are now rebadged NH balers since it is CNH, now a division of Fiat. I have been thru the Hesston Kansas Plant and I wouldn't be afraid of anything built there. The inline baler no matter what brand name it carries is a very good design and well built. I do own NH and they have done me well.

Did you tour the combine plant too?

/ Inline vs Traditional small Square Balers?
Whew,
What a mess of who owned what when, especially as sometimes a company will buy another company just to gain access to patent rights.

Did Fiat also own Oliver?

I would assume as companies merge, they would tend to drop redundant product lines. But, then what happens if they split off again?

So, I also saw some Ford balers (traditional wide) for sale. Are these maintained by New Holland?