Insecticide on Wood Pile

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I have never used anything on my firewood to prevent/kill bugs. Normally just beat the bugs off the wood. However, I am wondering if anyone has used any type of chemicals to kill ants, termites, beetles, etc. on your wood pile? If used during the summer, will it be a problem burning it in the winter? I know they make insecticides that are safe around animals and your house but have never heard of anyone using on firewood for burning.

If you do use an insecticide, what type and any issues with burning the wood in your wood stove?

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile #2  
I wouldn't. Anything that you add is going to vaporize from the residuals as soon as you start to burn it.

All the best,

Peter

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile #4  
i use borax soap when i put it in my basement i spred it on the wood when i cord it and no insect and it a small box i put about 1 quater of the box for 3 cord

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile #5  
I wouldn't. Anything that you add is going to vaporize from the residuals as soon as you start to burn it.

All the best,

Peter
That was my first thought, also. The Borax suggestion might be worth trying though...
I leave mine outside, and bring a tractor bucket in at a time as needed. That works especially well when we're in the middle of a snowstorm... ;)

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile #6  
Cover the pile in plastic sheeting and have enough overlap to seal the plastic around the pile. The summer heat will kill insects with no toxic chemicals to be released during burning. Additionally, it will keep your wood pile dry.

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile #7  
Treat the ground around and under the pile. Use a granulated product.

Tarping seems like it would keep too much moisture in.

I would move a few day's worth into the unheated, but attached garage. It was cold enough to keep bugs dormant until it was time to go into the stove where it was a little too warm for them.

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile #8  
Up here, you can tarp the top but the sides have to be open to breathe.... Otherwise, the wood will rot.

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile #9  
I posted the same question several months ago. The answers were no, it will poison you to go ahead, it’s ok. I have sprayed mine a couple of times with those gallon jugs with the spray nozzle. I try to spray around the bottom of the pike the most.

/ Insecticide on Wood Pile
I posted the same question several months ago. The answers were no, it will poison you to go ahead, it’s ok. I have sprayed mine a couple of times with those gallon jugs with the spray nozzle. I try to spray around the bottom of the pike the most.
Thanks, like I have said I have never sprayed the wood. I keep my firewood away from the house in a designated area. I have the wood split and stacked inside those metal water cages. My biggest concern was the bugs getting into my yard and other trees around my wood pile area.