Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics

/ Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics #1  

GC1710

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1710
Though this part is a bit expensive ($160 at jacks small engines) I think it is very worth it in cold climates. There is also a helpful video on youtube if you search "GC block heater".

Here is my 2 cents:

About a 50 minute job if you park the tractor next to the tools.

Tools:
- 14mm wrench
- 12mm socket and extension
- punch and needle nose vize grips
- hammer
- grease or something slick (you could even just "borrow" some from a spewing point on your FEL)
- pliers

Optional:
- zip ties
- chafe protection
- washers
- plug protector

Don't forget coolant!

Steps:
- Park tractor with bucket about 3' off the ground (makes it easier to work in the area where the heater goes)
- pull coolant drain off it's holder location and drain (open radiator cap to help with flow)
- remove exhaust braket 1-14mm bolt, 2-12mm bolts
- punch one side of freeze cap (silver round item in block) with punch and hammer until opposite side is able to be grabbed with pliers
- pull out freeze cap
- lube rubber ring on heater plug
- insert and tap into place, (I used extension and socket) light taps until you hear bracket bottom on block
- see if bracket has bottomed out on block where bolts go, if not I suggest using washers for a snug fit. (see pics)
- reassemble exhaust bracket
- plug cored into heater and screw on cap
- route however you see fit
- refill coolant, start, check for leaks, check coolant level again.

I am going to get a female plug cap at the store next time I run errands. I will most likely remove the whole plug in the warm season.

IMG_3748.JPGIMG_3750.JPGIMG_3751.JPGIMG_3752.JPGIMG_3753.JPGIMG_3754.JPGIMG_3760.JPGIMG_3759.JPGIMG_3758.JPGIMG_3756.JPGIMG_3755.JPGIMG_3761.JPGIMG_3769.JPGIMG_3768.JPGIMG_3766.JPGIMG_3764.JPGIMG_3763.JPGIMG_3762.JPGIMG_3770.JPG

Last edited:
   / Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics #2  
Thanks for the write up and photos. I may be doing this in a couple weeks.

/ Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics #3  
Nice. I've never regretted getting mine, either.

What I do in the summer is unscrew the short cord/plug, store that in a zip-lock bag in my "Tractor Stuff" drawer, and screw on a standard plastic garden hose cover/plug. The thread is the same.

block heater w: cap.JPG

/ Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics
Nice. I've never regretted getting mine, either.

What I do in the summer is unscrew the short cord/plug, store that in a zip-lock bag in my "Tractor Stuff" drawer, and screw on a standard plastic garden hose cover/plug. The thread is the same.

View attachment 534867

Oh that’s awesome, thanks for the tip!

/ Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics #5  
So much worth it, this heater will save tons of headache, that and a battery trickle charger. thanks for the write up. I always plug my trickle charger in after parking the tractor, battery is 7 plus years old. I also add diesel fuel additive to keep it from gelling up but I dont think its needed as I also put fresh diesel in when its cold.

Will need a new battery next winter I think.

/ Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics #6  
I have to replace my old, dead one. It's really in there. I tried to do it last Sunday but I had higher priority repairs to do. The snowblower needed a key in the small gear shaft, spiked chains, and wheel weights came first. The GC 2300 was spinning the tires too much on my hillside driveway. I'll try again this weekend after fixing a big leak on my older Kubota. I plow with that one. Nice pictures.

/ Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics #7  
Has anyone installed a frost-plug heater on a 1754 with a Tier 4 engine?

/ Installed Block Heater on GC, quick how-to and pics #8  
Wake up ol’ thread!

I’m adding a heater to my 2410 as my scut now sleeps in an unheated garage.

I don’t have that Exhaust bracket above the freeze cap although the threads are there. I’ve tried a 8mm thread but it stops after a few turns. Any idea what that bolt size is?