Installing 2000 ft water line this weekend. Any advice?

/ Installing 2000 ft water line this weekend. Any advice? #11  
Wow what nice soil and no rocks.. Looking good :thumbsup:

/ Installing 2000 ft water line this weekend. Any advice? #12  
The locator wire is a good idea. The other thing we do is backfill the trench 2/3's of the way and then lay in some yellow caution tape before we finish filling. Some distant day in the future when a backhoe starts digging they will catch the caution tape before the pipe and save a messy repair. Cheap insurance to me.

MarkV

MarkV,
THAT is a brilliant idea!

I'm so stealing that one...
Be well,

David

/ Installing 2000 ft water line this weekend. Any advice? #13  
I ran 1900' of waterline from the meter to my house and used 1 1/2" pipe and have plenty of pressure and volume. In 19 months living there I haven't had a problem when the wife is in the shower and I'm out at the shop washing a truck or something.

Only thing I'd suggest is put a shutoff or two in. To do this just use a regular ball valve and notch the bottom of a 6" pipe and stand it over the valve with a cap on top of the pipe at or just below ground level. This way you can access it to see the valve and to turn it off or on just notch a 2" pipe to fit the ears on the valve to reach in a turn. Just don't put this standpipe in a spot where it can be underwater or will have silt issues as the standpipe can fill with silt from underneath. This will help if you ever have a leak and have to isolate it, a local plumber told me isolating a leak to 500' isn't bad at all.

/ Installing 2000 ft water line this weekend. Any advice? #14  
Got started this afternoon. Ive got the ditcher rented for the next three days (lucked out with the holiday weekend). Anyway, looks like I may need the time. Dug about 210 ft. this afternoon in 2 hours. At this rate, its a 20 hour trench time not to mention installing the pipe. Once again im overkilling the job and going 3 ft. but I figure its a one time job and Im gonna give it all I got. Ive got 2000 feet of schedule 40, made in the good ole USA slip joint 2" pipe. Here are some pics. Ill post more later. thanks for all the good advice guys !!!
IMG_20120525_202904.jpg

IMG_20120525_202835.jpg

IMG_20120524_192419.jpg

Cool pics. Who stole all of your rocks?

/ Installing 2000 ft water line this weekend. Any advice? #15  
The only thing that I might add would be to throw in a locate wire for the future. I'm not sure how large of a wire would be required for 3' deep, but we started doing that around the facility where I work. It lets us clamp to it at one end and find the line anywhere along it's path. I think we usually use 16 or 18 ga wire, but I'm not sure.

Good luck and take care.

Another option that kills two birds with one stone is to use a foil based locator tape. It looks like warning tape and aluminum foil in it so that you can find it with a metal detector. This is what the company that put in my geo field used. I found that Graingers has it also. Detectbl Underground Tape, Blu/Blk, 1000ft - Barrier, Flagging and Underground Tapes - Traffic Safety - 1EC10 : Grainger Industrial Supply It is available with many different warning. I do not work for Graingers. It is something I was on a new water line I was planning.
Rick

/ Installing 2000 ft water line this weekend. Any advice? #16  
Don't put it so deep. Too late now but you don't have to worry about freezing do you?

Reason is, not if, but when you have to dig it up to fix a leak....better to go only 2 feet. Most tillage and such only go 1 foot.

Put solid blocking at any corner. Try to avoid corner elbows, just make a wide radius if you can. Get a measuring tape, take pictures etc to have a diagram or blue print of the location of ALL buried cables and pipes. You don't know how handy this will be.