Installing OROPS

/ Installing OROPS #1  

Boots

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2240 2wd, (50 pto hp)
The JD 2240 I just purchased does not have the OROPS. This will likely be one of my first purchases before I do any other improvements to this machine and before I operate it on uneven terrain. JD sells the system which includes the folding ROPS, and seat belt for $470 which sounds like a good investment in my life.

Anyway, does anyone know how these are installed. I'm thinking of putting it on myself if it doesn't involve much more than a big torque wrench and some back pain. If someone has a similar model with a ROPS, a photo of the attachment to the axle would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Boots

/ Installing OROPS #2  
Boot,
Glad you got your JD home with out a hitch.

I would skip down to your JD dealer and get the right info,and maybe view a model with the same setup and take notes.

Take care an enjoy.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Installing OROPS #3  
Boots, this is the way the ROPS is mounted on my JD. There is a steel brace u-bolted to the axle that supports the underside of the fender and then the ROPS bar is bolted to that thru the fender. Then there's a cross bar bolted on from fender to fender bracing the set-up. Yours could be similar. Congratulations on your purchase. What year is that?

/ Installing OROPS
DFB,
My 2240 was purchased new by the previous owner in April 1980. According to the SN, it was likely made in '79. I think JD made this series of tractor from 1976 - 1984. I'll post a picture of her as delivered sometime soon and you'll see she's a fixer' upper.

Thanks for the details.
Boots

/ Installing OROPS #5  
Boots,

Do a search on "cracked axle housing". As I recall the U bolts around the axle were the root cause of some cracking of the axle. I think this was primarily on the Kubota. Seems there was more to putting the ROPS on than a torque wrench and back pain.