Installing SDR-21 pipe questions

/ Installing SDR-21 pipe questions #11  
Oversized pipe running from the meter to the project can cost extra for sure, but its a one time expense. If more capacity is needed at a later date your safe. No need to run new pipe. Larger pipe pretty well stops any worries on flow rates or pressure drops. Once you have the pipe ran its easy to adapt it down to the house connection pipe size and the size needed at the water meter. 2 inch pipe does not require a 2 inch meter.

Point taken. If that's the idea, thats all well and fine. But if the plan is to use a 2" meter along with that 2" pipe....that will continue to cost more, month over month.

At this point, we just don't know

/ Installing SDR-21 pipe questions #12  
I own a plumbing shop my father started over 50 yrs ago. We ran out of pipe lube out in the country. Dad said he'd be right back. This community had a small gas station/general store. He brought back a can of Crisco. It worked well, was food safe, but the durn dogs would leave us be. Good lord that was 30 yrs ago.

/ Installing SDR-21 pipe questions #13  
I did 5,400 feet of 2" gasketed water line about 3 years ago. Meter tap is 1". I can confirm most everything suggested. 30' over 200' shouldn't be a problem. There will be plenty of flex. Pipe lube from supply house works well. We connected about 80-100 feet at a time and laid it into the trench as we worked. 2x4 across the trench work well for supporting the pipe as part is in the trench and you connect additional pieces on the ground. Be careful as you lay it in so it doesn't pull apart, don't just roll it in. With the lube two people can easily push the pipe together and seat it properly. If you work by yourself a spade shovel works well to press one piece into the next. Push the spade in the ground just in front of the next piece and use the back of the shovel as a leaver to push it forward into the previous piece. Trenching 5,000+ feet is the slow part. The pipe goes together pretty fast.

9578471731_4a4f6957a6_c.jpg

/ Installing SDR-21 pipe questions #14  
Wow... 5400' is quite an install... sure don't want to have to do that twice...

All these meter sizes makes it interesting in that 1/2 and 5/8 are the norm... but then we do have 160 psi

/ Installing SDR-21 pipe questions #15  
In my part of Texas, you can get just about any sized meter you want, and you just pay for the cost of the meter, and there is a big jump in what they cost the bigger you go. The water supply utility cannot make a profit providing you these things. I also got my pipe from them, at their cost, and no added sales tax. I have a 1 1/2 inch meter. I thought about going bigger, but in all reality, will never have any need for all the water I can get right now. My bill is based on how much water I use, not the tap size.

One thing that I've found that surprised me is that inside the city limits, in the older part of town where all the big, old oil money houses where built, there are two water meters. Normally a 5/8's for the house drinking water, and then a 2 inch meter for watering the grass. This isn't 100 percent for every house, but common enough that I now look for both meters when working on a house in that area.

/ Installing SDR-21 pipe questions #16  
In my part of Texas, you can get just about any sized meter you want, and you just pay for the cost of the meter, and there is a big jump in what they cost the bigger you go. The water supply utility cannot make a profit providing you these things. I also got my pipe from them, at their cost, and no added sales tax. I have a 1 1/2 inch meter. I thought about going bigger, but in all reality, will never have any need for all the water I can get right now. My bill is based on how much water I use, not the tap size.

One thing that I've found that surprised me is that inside the city limits, in the older part of town where all the big, old oil money houses where built, there are two water meters. Normally a 5/8's for the house drinking water, and then a 2 inch meter for watering the grass. This isn't 100 percent for every house, but common enough that I now look for both meters when working on a house in that area.

Tap fees are a one time expense. ITs the monthly minimum charge that continues to get you month over month.

One-time tap fees as I understand them
5/8" meter.......$5200
3/4" meter.......$8550
1" meter...........$13000

Then a huge jump....
1-1/2" meter........$24,300
2" meter..............$38,900

Monthly minimum charge......

5/8"..........$11.85
3/4"..........$15.01
1"..............$20.91
1.5"...........$77.66
2"..............$193.60

Only appreciable difference between the 5/8" thru 1" meters is gonna be the one time tap fee.

I have a 3/4" meter and a family of 4. Outside spigots are hooked to well water so no garden watering or vehicle washing gets charged to my delco bill.

My monthly usage is usually ~4000 gallons and runs me ~$30

At my previous house, prior to having two kids, my usage was ~2500gal/month. And typical to see bills of $15-$20. There is no way I would want a 1.5" meter/tap and lock myself into a ~$80/month electric bill, even if the one time tap fee was the same price as a 5/8" tap.

Tap Fees – Del-Co Water
Water Rates – Del-Co Water

While I agree, that the size of the water line between the meter and the house being 2" or 1.5" isnt gonna be a big deal. I am only advising that some though be put into selecting which size tap you want to go with. And delco is very helpful. If one has questions or needs clarification on anything, they are just a phone call away.

/ Installing SDR-21 pipe questions #17  
New homes here for the most part must be sprinklered which requires a larger meter... over the years the extra meter fees are very substantial for something most will NEVER use... no way around it.

My 5/8 meter service with sewer connection is roughly $90 per month before a drop of water flows.

Water bill use to be almost inconsequential... not any more.