Installing taillights on the inside of the ROPS

/ Installing taillights on the inside of the ROPS #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It is very likely that welding your ROPS will void your warrenty and will transfer liability of any future accident by any future owner to you, should an accident occur. )</font>

Only if it breaks because of the weld, although you might have to prove that in the court$.

My biggest problem with attaching tabs, brackets and lights inside the ROPS is that they become head bangers. I don't know the head-ROPS clearance on your 2210, but on my 855, it's not all that much. I'd be worried about splitting my skull on a bolt or an angle iron tab.

/ Installing taillights on the inside of the ROPS #12  
Good point about things being head bangers on some of the ROPS. Because I mow in trees, I hung my lights under & behind my ROPS so they would be protected by the ROPS itself. From what I can see, every model tractor has to be treated differently. I have a foot of clearance on my Kubota and maybe only 6 inches on my New Holland. And in both cases that is with the seats all the way back. I've not hung anything on the ROPS of the Kubota becuase I don't use it for mowing so I don't need the light in the evening when I might be using it.

With regard to drilling or welding a ROPS, there is often debate on that issue. I feel that if there is a REASONABLE alternative, then there is no reason to take the risk. Besides, I have steep hills, and it is possible that I might roll one of my tractors so maybe I am a bit extra careful. But anyone who uses any ground engaging equipment can flip a tractor over in about a 1/2 a second on perfectly flat land. And anyone with a FEL can do the same. So rather than have some lawyer explain to my widow that the ROPS failed, but I voided the warrenty by weakening its structure, I guess I'd rather use some epoxy and stick what I need stuck up there without the risk.

/ Installing taillights on the inside of the ROPS
<font color="green">Went to my dealer this morning on my way to work and ordered a new taillight. I could have easily remounted the existing light that was knocked off the ROPS were it not for the fact that the bolts disappeared and with them the special knurled nuts that make a friction fit in the taillight assembly.

It dawned on me that with the likelihood of another branch knocking the new light off the ROPS, I could do something to avoid losing the bolts but more importantly avoid losing the knurled nuts.

This time when I replace the taillight I will try adding a very thin washer between the ROPS and the taillight housing. That way if another branch knocks the taillight off the bolts, the bolts and the knurled nuts will remain attached to the tractor.

Unfortunately you cannot buy the taillight housing as a separate part like you can with a lens. I had to buy a complete assembly. Oh well I now have some spare lenses and bulbs out of the deal.

I am still deciding on remounting the taillights inside or outside the ROPS. My thanks everyone for your ideas and advice.

Mike

</font>

/ Installing taillights on the inside of the ROPS #14  
I have a 4115 that I bought about a month ago and I knocked the left lens loose about 3 weeks ago while mowing. My cousin knocked the other side loose on saturday while bush hogging. Poor design. How would a guard help? looks like the tree would take the the lens and the guard off.

/ Installing taillights on the inside of the ROPS #15  
Moving lights to the inside is not a problem. (See attachment) And unless your only about 4 foot tall, i don't think you will be pumping your head on them.

You could get some 2 "wide metal strap and bend a cage around the out side of the lights. Kind of like a full capital letter C. Drill the inside tabs of the C for the mounting bolts from the lights and install the cage between the light base and the ROPS. I've seen this done for top mounted lights on other TBN threads.

If your hitting that much stuff when mowing, what is the sides of your 2210 going to look like in couple of years? I'm still waiting for my first scratch, then I will breathe a little easier.

John /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 442657-Rear Work Lite-4.JPG
    442657-Rear Work Lite-4.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 184
   / Installing taillights on the inside of the ROPS #16  
I had to trim all the trees around my property to be able to mow with this new ROPS. I'm thinking about moving the top lights to the bottom inside of the ROPS, which might make them head bangers. I'm also thinking about another set of the rectangular work lights for top side instead of the round. They seem to throw more light, in a wider pattern, and they could be mounted tighter to the ROPS.

John /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 442659-ROP Lite-1a.JPG
    442659-ROP Lite-1a.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 169