Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple.

/ Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #21  
Some where on TBN I think it was calculated to be about 1 lbs per 1 PSI... so for me 150 psi = 150 lbs. (I hope I have that right)

I hope you don't mind, but I saw this and recomputed the increase in pressure and the available weight in lbs

Around the 3000 psi area, if you vary the pressure 150 psi, you will see a 471 lbs increase in the straight push pressure. With the cyl pushing at an angle, you will see less, but still better than before.

So for each 1 psi increase, and straight on push, the force will increase 3.14 lbs.

If the cyl is pushing at an angle of 30 degrees, using same pressure, the increase would only be 236 lbs, If the 30 degrees is correct, then the increase of each 1 psi would produce about 1.57 lbs.

A straight on push to the source will produce the most force. As you increase the angle of push, the force will decrease.

For instance :

2 in bore, and 1 in rod with 3000 psi = 9425 lbs push force.

2 in bore, and 1 in rod with 3000 psi and 30 degree angle = 4712 lbs push force.

From looking at a lot of tractors, it seems just about all of them push the lift arms at an angle, and gets worse as you raise the bucket up.

I forgot about two cyl, so double the lifting force .

Last edited:
   / Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #22  
I have a set of qa pallet forks on my l2800, for one, im hesitant to turn up the pressure b/c I don't want to damage the tractor, two I was thinking a removable or pinned attachment to the pallet forks would be the most versatile for a grapple, as it is now the pallet forks are great for picking up brush and logs, but a clamp or hand on the front would be awesome

/ Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #23  
Before any adjustments to the relief valve, one should know the pumps psi limits, and stay about 50 to 100 psi below that.

You will not know the PRV set pressure unless you install a hyd gage in the system, or make a plug in gage setup.

/ Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #24  
I agree w/that, I would love a plug in gauge setup and remotes front and rear but all those parts add up quickly, but I will definetly be adding a grapple someday, most likely homemade

/ Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #25  

Attachments

• !HYD  GAGE QD.jpg
    !HYD GAGE QD.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 261
  • !Hyd test set.JPG
    !Hyd test set.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 258
   / Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #26  
Oh that's not bad, maybe i'll get to that sooner than I thought, thanks

/ Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #27  
I'm wanting to do this addition on my L4400. Let's say I use a 2 spool valve. Is there a hydraulic reason that I can't "T" my output hoses coming out of the new valves and add a set of connectors at the front of the tractor and the rear of the tractor. I know I wouldn't be able to utilize the same circuit at both ends of the tractor at the same time. But beyond that, wouldn't this work?? It would give me two circuits at each end of the tractor while using only a 2 spool valve. Ideas??

/ Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #28  
Theoretically, you could have many lines coming off a valve, but in an open center hyd system, , the fluid must be flowing all the time the pump is running.

You could use shut off valves and QD's to achieve your goal, but if you are not careful, you may dead head the pump.

You would aslo have to have control valves for the implement.

Draw out your hyd circuit with all valves and QD's, and hoses, and see if the flow is correct.

There must be flow from pump to reservoir

/ Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple. #29  
I'm wanting to do this addition on my L4400. Let's say I use a 2 spool valve. Is there a hydraulic reason that I can't "T" my output hoses coming out of the new valves and add a set of connectors at the front of the tractor and the rear of the tractor. I know I wouldn't be able to utilize the same circuit at both ends of the tractor at the same time. But beyond that, wouldn't this work?? It would give me two circuits at each end of the tractor while using only a 2 spool valve. Ideas??
There is no reason not to do that.

/ Instructions to add extra spools to L2800 for grapple.
...Is there a hydraulic reason that I can't "T" my output hoses coming out of the new valves and add a set of connectors at the front of the tractor and the rear of the tractor. I know I wouldn't be able to utilize the same circuit at both ends of the tractor at the same time...
Yes, that can be done... been a thread about that about a year ago. It's a good idea but I couldn't see unplugging (for example) the side link, to use the grapple.

What were you planning to use the spools for?

I have not hooked up the third spool to anything yet but once I get the side link done, I don't ever see un-connecting the hydraulic lines. I might even run hydraulic lines from the 3rd spool straight to the TnT, and not use any quick connects.