Insulation above bathroom vent

/ Insulation above bathroom vent #11  
To compactTractor fan
When you say that your fan is vented to the attic I hope you mean that it is vented to the outside. I know of bad mold damage when the exhaust went into the attic space in northern clims.
Craig Clayton

/ Insulation above bathroom vent #13  
Our vent is vented to the attic...:confused2:

I have 16"-18" (R60) over my vent piping in the attic which lead to the outside, lol. Venting bathroom vapor to the attic here would condensate and drip through the drywall in no time. More moderate climates would, I think, still acquire black mold and wood rot in a short time. Moisture vapor in an attic space can be very bad hence the need to vent to the outside.

In reference to the original post which has been addressed already there could be heat challenges if the unit is not rated for direct insulation, pot lights for example when placed in enclosures require (here) thermal protection fuses to prevent fire and an adequate space to combustibles this information is included in the packaging. If you know the make and model you can usually get specifications from a manufacturers site.

Get r done;)

/ Insulation above bathroom vent #14  
I have 16"-18" (R60) over my vent piping in the attic which lead to the outside, lol. Venting bathroom vapor to the attic here would condensate and drip through the drywall in no time. More moderate climates would, I think, still acquire black mold and wood rot in a short time. Moisture vapor in an attic space can be very bad hence the need to vent to the outside.

Wow. This really points out the differences climate can make. You have more insulation over your pipes than we have in the entire state of Texas. :laughing:

I grew up in a house in south Texas that had 2 inches of rock wool insulation. The bathroom ventilator exhausted into the attic space. No other ducting or venting. We had a single bathroom for the whole family and with two girls it saw a lot of use. Never any mold or mildew in 40 years. The attic itself was vented with a 20' gable vent at each end of the house and a couple air motors (whirly bird vents) on the roof.

The idea was as long as the attic air changed regularly it would stay dry. I guess it worked well. The house had a dry, dusty attic for over 60 years.

Youse guys up nawth have a very different set of rules to live by and this thread sure makes me glad I can't use snow to find hotspots on my roof. :thumbsup: