Insulation prices

/ Insulation prices #1  

ole farmerbuck

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota M7040
We just had a 40x80 shop and 31x70 house built and are about ready for insulation. Anyone have a good outlet for some? Around here it's between .47-.53 sq ft. Thats R19. Suggestions?

/ Insulation prices #2  
I dont know what your budget is like, but I read an interesting article not long ago about using both diy sprayfoam and battan insulation for the best results. Sprayfoam to seal and provide marginal insulation and then battan on top. No need for vapour barrier either. Cant remember the exact R values for the combo but they were better than either type could provide on their own. Thinking about this for my garage this summer which is 30x50.

/ Insulation prices #3  
I agree with brunswick. The closed cell spray foam is expensive, so do 1" of the closed cell to eliminate any air leakage/infiltration followed by batts or blown in. This will get the max r-value and tightest building for the money.

Of course the spray foam guys will want to do the whole 9 yards, so find a contractor that does both..

/ Insulation prices #4  
There are a number of building centers up North here that sell kits for the foam if your adventerous enough. I have a collegue who did it in his addition and said it wasnt too bad once you got going. Might save some money that way. It will actually add structural integrity as well as it seals and pulls everything together. Had a buddy from the east coast spray it in his attic rafters as he was converting it to another room. He then had to redo his roof the following year and the wood on the roof was so bad in some place that the foam was actually holding it together.....and quite well I might add. We had a pretty good laugh about it.

/ Insulation prices #5  
By the way.....40x80 garage. WOW! I have size envy...lol.

/ Insulation prices #6  
Yah, the best is the spray in foam where they come back with a long blade and a sawzall and trim it flush with the uprights. I have a buddy who built a 3000 sq ft Texas ranch style home with porches all around. He claims his energy bills average only about $200 month. He spent almost $7000 I think having the spray in done. He also did a bunch of interior walls for sound proofing.

/ Insulation prices #7  
3.5 " of high density closed cell foam cost me $1.70/sq.ft. of wall last fall. That price was installed of course. Blown in cellulose for the ceiling was basically $1/ cu.ft installed.

/ Insulation prices
Well the spray in sounds like the way to go but I dont know if wqe want to spend that much. We're getting in deep enough with the 31x70 house and full basement. There are a couple of places close to here that do the spray in. I guess it wouldnt hurt to get a quote for a couple of inches. Would I still have room for the 6" R 19 after 2" of spray in?

/ Insulation prices #9  
Hope this isn't too much of an 'opinion'. My observations have been that in a conventional stick built home the issue is getting a solid layer of insulation up on the outside of the studs and trusses. The places that stand out in the winter are where they are, as wood has a particular R value that you can't beat without there being some sort of 'break' layer. Which seems to be what is done with vinyl siding (likely not done for the advantage of insulation so much as it makes the siding hang and move better over the course of a year).

If it is a standard stick built house (and will work with your outside walls) I would consider a modest layer of sheet insulation as a thermal break layer (end of the day, what is the most effective for the money insulation). And plant wind breaks on the prevailing storm wind side of your home.

But that isn't what you asked -- you wanted to find a cheaper insulation source. Sorry, can't help, would like to see what you find.

/ Insulation prices
Hey mojoinco. They did install a layer of some kind of thin insulation or reflective stuff between the studs and metal.