intelpenel lights blown fuses

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #11  
unadilla said:
Andy, I think you got it. I unplugged the alternator, replaced the fuse and the panel lights came on. Could it be a diode in the alternator?

Bill

Sounds liek you've narrowed ti down to the alternator. For a bried discussion of the parts of the alternator see:
HOW DOES AN ALTERNATOR WORK?

It may be the diodes but it also could be many other things. I would really suggest taking the alternator to a rebuild shop and letting them check it out for you. I think it will be the cheapest route in the long run. You may also just want to look at the cost of a rebuilt unit.

Andy

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses
Andy, If it fried all or part of the alternator what could have caused it? I will take the alternator to the shop tomorrow.

Bill

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #13  
unadilla said:
Andy, If it fried all or part of the alternator what could have caused it? I will take the alternator to the shop tomorrow.

Bill
Another possibility is an intermittent failure (probably a short) Does the failure always take about 30 minutes or is it sometimes much longer or shorter. If it varies then it is most likely an intermittent failure. The failure may only occur randomly or under certain vibration conditions or when the system warms up. I would put a headlamp across (in parallel with) a blown fuse. The lamp will get brighter when the failure occurs. You can them easily monitor the situation. You can wiggle wires, tap things, and let the engine warm up. For example the alternator could be failing when it gets hot. I have used this several times to find problems. It is also very safe. It also helps to have a second person watch the light while you wiggle things.

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #14  
Bob gives good advice. I still think that the alternator shop can determine what (if anything) is wrong with the alternator. Assuming the alternator has an integrated regulator that could also be th esource of the problem. Make sure that you tell them that it usually takes itself about 30 minutes to occur.

Andy

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #15  
AndyMA said:
Bob gives good advice. I still think that the alternator shop can determine what (if anything) is wrong with the alternator. Assuming the alternator has an integrated regulator that could also be th esource of the problem. Make sure that you tell them that it usually takes itself about 30 minutes to occur.

Andy

My concern would be the shop would test it cold and it only will show a problem when hot. I believe that Andy is alluding to that. Still, if you pull the leads off of the alternator and it does not blow the fuse after thirty minutes of running, that's a pretty good indicator that the problem is in the alternator. Be sure to tape off the loose leads so they don't short to ground when running.

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #16  
BobRip said:
My concern would be the shop would test it cold and it only will show a problem when hot. I believe that Andy is alluding to that. Still, if you pull the leads off of the alternator and it does not blow the fuse after thirty minutes of running, that's a pretty good indicator that the problem is in the alternator. Be sure to tape off the loose leads so they don't short to ground when running.

I would ask them to use a heat gun on the alternator while they are testing it to bring it up to temp. My guess is that there is some problem that is causing heat all along and that after 30 minutes the problem becomes acute.
Andy

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #17  
AndyMA said:
I would ask them to use a heat gun on the alternator while they are testing it to bring it up to temp. My guess is that there is some problem that is causing heat all along and that after 30 minutes the problem becomes acute.
Andy

The heat gun is a good idea and can help pinpoint the problem area.

OK it is back from the shop. It seems to work. He replaced the regulator. I will run the tractor this morning and see if it still works when it is heated up. I did not read your suggestions about heating the alternator when the shop tested it until just now.

Bill

/ intelpenel lights blown fuses #19  
Good news. The more I thought about it the more I suspected that the regulator was the problem. I'm glad you got out of it without having to buy a new alternator. How much did this set yo back? I expect the heat problem left with the defective regulator.

Andy

I have now operated the tractor all day and everything works. Thanks Andy and Bob for your help. The shop charged $56. The dealer worked on the problem for 6 hours @ $69 an hour! Even taking out the panel and installing one from a new tractor to test the wiring and did not fine the problem. The mechanic did want to know where I got the answer to the problem and I told him of this website. Thanks again.

Bill