Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models

/ Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi, I'm a wannabe compact tractor owner that hopefully will soon own one, and I like the looks of the Iseki TS and TX models, in 15 to 19HP range and prefer 4x4. Also like the idea of the 3-cylinder diesel for smoothness. I have some questions though: 1) Is the rear PTO always live / independent (2-stage clutch?) or is this something that is an option and must be investigated for each unit? 2) Is there a belly mount mower available for these tractors or only rear mount (Woods doesn't list any for Iseki)? Thanks!

Bill in CO

/ Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models #2  
I have heard of a few larger, 40+hp Isekis that have 2 stage clutches, but I have never personally seen one. I can definately tell you that the small ones do not have live independent PTO or 2 stage clutch. To run a belly mower on one you need either a mid or front PTO which these tractors do not have. I have seen belly mowers that run off of the rear PTO, but they are expensive and from the looks of them would be too expensive for the complications associated with them. Most people use a rear mount finish mower. The rear mounts are a lot easier to remove when you want to use other equipment on the 3 point hitch.

/ Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models
Thanks for the info Brent. I guess my next question would be: Do any of the Japanese grey tractors have live pto's? Seems like it would be nice to have a tiller or mower spinning full operating speed while you're slowing down the ground speed of your tractor. Most of the US farm tractors have had that since the late '50's/early '60's, for instance. Thanks!

Bill in CO

/ Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models #4  
You would need an independent live PTO if you want a PTO that is not affected by the tractors ground speed. I have never seen a grey with that. Like I said in my earlier message, there is supposed to be an Iseki with a 2 stage clutch, but it still isn't an independent PTO.

/ Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models #5  
Keep in mind these little tractors were designed to run rototillers at slow speeds. Not much ground speed changing going on while rototilling. Mostly creeping along while tilling. I too wish they were indep pto for some jobs such as mowing but the powershift or shuttleshift models allow for shifting while the tractors are in forward or reverse motion. May be an avenue to check into if you feel you will be needing to do that a lot. Happy Hunting
Nick

Thanks for the rreplies, Brent and Nick. I guess the mower would also require an overriding clutch on the PTO too, so you can stop forward motion without the mower pushing the tractor ahead, right? I guess the Woods belly mowers are usually driven off the front PTO on Yanmars from what I gather from their web site Not familiar with the operation of a front PTO on these tractors, or if they all have one.

Bill in CO

/ Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models #7  
I bought an Iseki TS1610F a few months ago and have been impressed by it since. If I can answer any questions just let me know.
David

/ Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models #8  
An over run coupler is not needed with a finish mower, tiller, or post hole digger. The don't have enough momentum to push the tractor. If you are using a rotary cutter, AKA Bush hog, then you will need the over run coupler.

/ Interest in Iseki TS/TX Models #9  
As someone posted, the closest thing you can find to live pto is the Yanmar powershift. With this transmission, you can put the tractor in one of multiple transmission ranges, powershift in neutral, engage the pto, and release the clutch. The pto turns, the tractor doesn't move. Now shift into one of 3 forward gears or reverse on the powershift and the tractor moves.

In general, putting belly mowers on these tractors can be a challenge. The options are to run it from an electric clutch on the front of the tractor, or from the rear pto. In both cases, belts and pulleys transfer the power to the mower. Keep in mind that the front pto is "independent" due to the electric clutch. The rear pto would not be "live/independent". The major problem is that these tractors are of an "axle back" design. The front axles are placed further toward the rear than most US compact tractors. This causes problems with fitting a reasonable size mower between the front and rear wheels.

I have mounted a YMM45 on my YM1301D. I got the deck complete with the electric clutch. It was designed to go on a YM135/YM155/YM155D. I could mount a larger deck, but for my purposes this is sufficient. If this is to be your tractor, and you wish to keep it indefinately, then go for it. Find a Woods 348 or whatever and give it a shot. With some fabrication and machining, you could make it work. I have even relocated the front axle on a YM1110D to accomodate a belly mower.

Greg

Greg, thanks for the detailed reply. You've explained the situation, things to look for, and potential problems so that even I understand what's involved. I like the "traditional tractor" looks of the TS and TX Iseki models that I've seen pictures of, but I'm afraid I may be getting into some potentially serious installation issues with a belly mower on one of these. I think I would have fewer problems mounting a belly mower to a Yanmar, which Woods does accomodate. Thanks again to all who have responded. The wife expects the tractor I get to "do it all," including mowing and tilling. And frankly that's what I want too. I don't have the money or room on my place for multiple tractors dedicated for one duty only.

Bill in CO